• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

more frustrating, Pulchra or Rosea?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I expected my rosea sling to fast a lot and be very slow growing. Didn't expect the pulchra to be as bad if not worse than the rosea. Everything i've read so far says they're slow growers, which is fine, but they're good eaters.
I've had the pulchra for almost 2 months now, they're 1/2-3/4". They've eaten the first 2 feedings, or maybe 3 right after i got them, and have hidden in their hides since. Doesn't even look like they're close to molting, the abdomen is dark dark, but not shiny. They're in amac boxes with plenty of ventilation, semi-moist sub so they can burrow, a hide and a water dish. Room temps have been ranging 72-84 since they arrived, typically in the 76-80 range though. Feeding is... non existent, but the few times they did eat was abdomen sized lateralis on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Good thing is they're both doing this, so i'm guessing this is the norm and i have 3 Ts that will make me grow some hair so i can pull it out ;)

What's the typical molt time for these?

On a side note my G. pulchripes is nothing like this, she's more like a Brachy. eats up until a few weeks before molt, the emerges from her burrow to practice gluttony again.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My pulchra's a slow grower, long premolt too. She eats well, until premolt. She's three inches old. Often, even experienced keepers get frustrated by spiders like this. In other words, we want to hurry up and see a big glossy black 7-8 inch tarantula in our enclosure :) Totally understandable, kormath, and as far as typical premolt/molt times? Forever. -.- My girl looks patchy, faded and horrible right now, and has for 3 months :( She certainly looks stunning freshly molted though, even at 3 inches.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My pulchra's a slow grower, long premolt too. She eats well, until premolt. She's three inches old. Often, even experienced keepers get frustrated by spiders like this. In other words, we want to hurry up and see a big glossy black 7-8 inch tarantula in our enclosure :) Totally understandable, kormath, and as far as typical premolt/molt times? Forever. -.- My girl looks patchy, faded and horrible right now, and has for 3 months :( She certainly looks stunning freshly molted though, even at 3 inches.
Great so another month plus. That's longer than the rosea. :confused:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My femal albopilosum and my female pulchra were bought at the same size, at the same time, and both have been almost identical in growth/appetite/pre molt times, everything..never raised a rosea, I bought my porteri fully mature. Look at it this way: At least they ain't Aphonopelma. :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only have a large female A. chalcodes, so i don't have anything to compare her to. My G. pulchripes molted, after about 3 weeks in premolt. She's the same size, or was, as my pulchras. Rosea is still tiny but even her premolts haven't lasted this long. I think my pulchra's are on molting strike ;)

My albo's have both molted like all my other Brachy's, which is still twice as fast (or more) than the pulchra.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My femal albopilosum and my female pulchra were bought at the same size, at the same time, and both have been almost identical in growth/appetite/pre molt times, everything..never raised a rosea, I bought my porteri fully mature. Look at it this way: At least they ain't Aphonopelma. :p
Hey now!
They grow!
Sort of...or,
at least a little....
My Aphonopelma hentzi has molted three or four times. I'm positive it's bigger! Soon as I can borrow a micrometer I'll tell you how much!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I saw a video, I think it was one of jon3800's, where he showed a 2" Aphonopelma that was 5 years old..I laughed quite a bit at the tone in his voice when he described it. That's why I like him, he's funny as hell sometimes without trying to be :D

Latest posts