• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Money in breeding tarantulas?

Arachnidreptiles

3 Year Member
Hey guys im new to this forum,but i was wondering if theres any money in breeding Ts.im not in it for the money really but since i love keeping so much i thought its be nice to make money with them to support my hobby.anything i read online sais there is no money in them but i wanted some opinions from actual breeders.would love to get into breeding but i cant end up lossing money.thanks!

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys im new to this,but i was wondering if there any money in breeding Ts.im not in it for the money really but since i love keeping so much i thought its be nice to make money with them to support my hobby.thanks!
Oh there's money in it. And work. And time. I'm not a breeder, not commercially, but yes, you can make money. The people that still enjoy the hobby do it occasionally, for extra money and fun. The serious breeders who make it a business seem to not be interested in the fun of the hobby anymore. I know this from talking to them. Don't mess up your chi, do it for fun occasionally and a little spare cash..otherwise prepare to have a business instead of a hobby. They don't mix, from what I understand. Hope this helps.

Arachnidreptiles

3 Year Member
Oh there's money in it. And work. And time. I'm not a breeder, not commercially, but yes, you can make money. The people that still enjoy the hobby do it occasionally, for extra money and fun. The serious breeders who make it a business seem to not be interested in the fun of the hobby anymore. I know this from talking to them. Don't mess up your chi, do it for fun occasionally and a little spare cash..otherwise prepare to have a business instead of a hobby. They don't mix, from what I understand. Hope this helps.
Ive always wanted to own my own reptile/exotic animal store/breeding facility.i honestly love working with them so much i dont think i could loose interest in the hobby by creating a business out of it.but this definitely helps,i appreciate it!

Austin S.

3 Year Member
I do it to contribute to the hobby.
I produce and sell stock on multiple forums. Sad I just recently signed up for this forum though.. :(
You can make money yes, but do not let that consume you, because it will try. Trust me, I've been there.

The thing that keeps me breeding tarantulas are the customers. For example, I recently bred balfouri. I was selling 5 for only $200 shipped. People thought it was ridiculously cheap. But, within each order, I would throw in a few extra free balfouri, or purpurea, or whatever I had, just to bring a smile to their face. There was even a purchase where I forgot a balfouri, so I shipped them, free of charge, the one balfouri, and 3 extra. To see someone's reaction to good business, is worth more to me than making a buck.

If you breed tarantulas, make sure you keep that in mind. Do not make it a business. Make it an experience for you, and your customer, and make sure it is a damn good one at that.

Last edited:

Arachnidreptiles

3 Year Member
I do it to contribute to the hobby.
I produce and sell stock on multiple forums. Sad I just recently signed up for this forum though.. :(
You can make money yes, but do not let that consume you, because it will try. Trust me, I've been there.

The thing that keeps me breeding tarantulas are the customers. For example, I recently bred balfouri. I was selling 5 for only $200 shipped. People thought it was ridiculously cheap. But, within each order, I would throw in a few extra free balfouri, or purpurea, or whatever I had, just to bring a smile to their face. There was even a purchase where I forgot a balfouri, so I shipped them, free of charge, the one balfouri, and 3 extra. To see someone's reaction to good business, is worth more to me than making a buck.

If you breed tarantulas, make sure you keep that in mind. Do not make it a business. Make it an experience for you, and your customer, and make sure it is a damn good one at that.
I feel the same way.i love making people happy and also contributing to the hobby.just wanted to make sure that i wasnt going to be spending more money than im putting in

Austin S.

3 Year Member
The only thing you will be really spending time on, is with the spiders themselves. Or, investing in a breeding pair, or purchasing a mature female for your mature male, or vice versa.

What is the kicker, is this:
Pre mating-feeding the female heavily weeks before mating. Seasonal changes for certain species, constantly checking on room/tank temperature and humidity.
Mating- some males will take several hours before even attempting to even move towards the female. If you want an alive male after mating, or want a video or pictures, you'll be there the whole 7 hours waiting.
Post mating- Feeding, raining, lighting, watering, cool downs, heating, etc., depending on species. It takes a lot of time for planning this - doing it.
Research, research, research. Make sure you know your tarantula. Research every single breeding report you can of the species you are breeding. Research local habitat information, ie; seasonal changes, mating season, temperature, etc. All the locality information you can gather.
Sure, some people just throw them together, get lucky, and get a sac.
But, if you want to produce the most highest % in a sac, and have strong, healthy offspring, do your research. Blafouri have anywhere from 20-50 slings. Mine had 93, no bad ones.
My Poecilotheria metallica female dropped a sac, but crushed the sac while rotating it! They have 60-90 eggs. There were 172 eggs in hers.
Mimic natural habitat. Best of luck!

Arachnidreptiles

3 Year Member
The only thing you will be really spending time on, is with the spiders themselves. Or, investing in a breeding pair, or purchasing a mature female for your mature male, or vice versa.

What is the kicker, is this:
Pre mating-feeding the female heavily weeks before mating. Seasonal changes for certain species, constantly checking on room/tank temperature and humidity.
Mating- some males will take several hours before even attempting to even move towards the female. If you want an alive male after mating, or want a video or pictures, you'll be there the whole 7 hours waiting.
Post mating- Feeding, raining, lighting, watering, cool downs, heating, etc., depending on species. It takes a lot of time for planning this - doing it.
Research, research, research. Make sure you know your tarantula. Research every single breeding report you can of the species you are breeding. Research local habitat information, ie; seasonal changes, mating season, temperature, etc. All the locality information you can gather.
Sure, some people just throw them together, get lucky, and get a sac.
But, if you want to produce the most highest % in a sac, and have strong, healthy offspring, do your research. Blafouri have anywhere from 20-50 slings. Mine had 93, no bad ones.
My Poecilotheria metallica female dropped a sac, but crushed the sac while rotating it! They have 60-90 eggs. There were 172 eggs in hers.
Mimic natural habitat. Best of luck!
Thanks man.really appreciate all of the information.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
My passion is photography. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that I should consider doing it for a living. The thing is - once it's a living it's no longer a hobby. All of a sudden, what you did for yourself on your own terms, becomes something that is driven by the expectations of others. For me, that would make it a job and not a passion anymore. As a hobby the only expectations placed on me are my own. I take photos of what I want and I take my time doing it. I'm not on the clock for someone else.
As long as you can still maintain that control then it shouldn't become a chore for you. Plenty of people are able to make that transition without losing their passion.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a koi pond and I've been in the hobby 10 years plus. But as a beginner, I got to a point where I overcrowded the pond, which is not good. So what I did was sell off those that, through time, I found not so good in an "experts" point of view in terms of coloration, body configuration, etc.

I ended with a controlled population in my pond and earned a profit because the bigger fish simply costs more. But I won't call it a business. I am just always on the hunt for better fish and when I found one, then it is time to sell off one of the resident kois that is of the lowest quality.

Same with Ts, when you have grown slings and enjoyed them, you can probably sell extras and being bigger would probably earn you a margin as compared to you buying slings.

Hope you get the point in this rambling. ;)

Arachnidreptiles

3 Year Member
I have a koi pond and I've been in the hobby 10 years plus. But as a beginner, I got to a point where I overcrowded the pond, which is not good. So what I did was sell off those that, through time, I found not so good in an "experts" point of view in terms of coloration, body configuration, etc.

I ended with a controlled population in my pond and earned a profit because the bigger fish simply costs more. But I won't call it a business. I am just always on the hunt for better fish and when I found one, then it is time to sell off one of the resident kois that is of the lowest quality.

Same with Ts, when you have grown slings and enjoyed them, you can probably sell extras and being bigger would probably earn you a margin as compared to you buying slings.

Hope you get the point in this rambling. ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive always wanted to own my own reptile/exotic animal store/breeding facility.i honestly love working with them so much i dont think i could loose interest in the hobby by creating a business out of it.but this definitely helps,i appreciate it!
If you need a partner in this idea of yours.....give me a call....I'm only 5 minutes away....;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree his advice is always very useful. I'm actually in a similar situation and am hoping to start breeding and selling on a larger scale. This is a big reason why I am focused mainly on acquiring specimens of species that I can get some more experience with breeding. I think one of the biggest challenges is having enough of a variety of different species that I know people would actually be interested in.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree. I've got an adult pair of pulchra- male is penult. This is one of the hardest sp. to breed from what I've researched. The female has to go through a cooling period similar to the poecilotheria but I believe a bit longer than a month. It's going to prove itself very challenging.....if I have any issues, I may just send them Austins way & let him do it for me and give him half the sac. It's one sp. I've never had an issue selling. It's just getting them here, lol.....

Kind6191

3 Year Member
Hey there I have a cobalt blue that I just got I'm gonna start fattening her up to get ready to breed so I'm looking for someone who has a male that's ready if you have one let me know thanks I'm in san diego area

Redacted

3 Year Member
I agree. I've got an adult pair of pulchra- male is penult. This is one of the hardest sp. to breed from what I've researched. The female has to go through a cooling period similar to the poecilotheria but I believe a bit longer than a month. It's going to prove itself very challenging.....if I have any issues, I may just send them Austins way & let him do it for me and give him half the sac. It's one sp. I've never had an issue selling. It's just getting them here, lol.....
It's a weird one. My female. G. pulchra mated many times fall 2015 and spring 201. Chilled her fro 3 mo over winter at 60 F. Fed her and baked her all summer long. Looks gravid but won't lay. Now, here we are in Dec. I've been keeping her warm. Nothing. Hmmm.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's a weird one. My female. G. pulchra mated many times fall 2015 and spring 201. Chilled her fro 3 mo over winter at 60 F. Fed her and baked her all summer long. Looks gravid but won't lay. Now, here we are in Dec. I've been keeping her warm. Nothing. Hmmm.

So you just put her through a 3 month cooling period? I think they're supposed to go through a 6 month cooling period. They have proven very difficult to produce. I believe that's why pulchras hold their value in the hobby. Not only are they beautiful and docile but they are difficult at producing. Breeding them is easy.....it's just getting the female to drop a sac. This species by far is more difficult than poecilotheria sp....

Redacted

3 Year Member
So you just put her through a 3 month cooling period? I think they're supposed to go through a 6 month cooling period. They have proven very difficult to produce. I believe that's why pulchras hold their value in the hobby. Not only are they beautiful and docile but they are difficult at producing. Breeding them is easy.....it's just getting the female to drop a sac. This species by far is more difficult than poecilotheria sp....
Yes, three mo. last winter. Wow, 6 mo. You're right- easy to pair, to keep, they're knockouts, and docile, but getting the egg sac a different matter. I'll keep everyone posted.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nitric Muscle For smooth muscle makeover you can depend upon naturopath supplements. One can buy herbal products to build muscle tissues from trustworthy on line shops. one of the extensively used herbal products to build muscles is FitOFat capsule that consists of many herbs rich in some of natural extracts that can provide the body with proteins to construct muscle and save you removal or non-absorption of vitamins by way of the frame.
http://www.strongtesterone.com/nitric-muscle-reviews/

And this has exactly "what" to do with breeding tarantulas? Are you suggesting we start giving our female tarantulas these supplements while simulating their natural environment for breeding purposes???? Or shall we start with the males first?? Is this a proven method that contributes to successful sacs??? Just curious....

Latest posts