• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting complication theory

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Ok,
I will be the first and probably not the last to admit this but I am not a scientist by any stretch. But I am a naturalist, I know 90% of what happens in nature happens for a reason.

I got to thinking about why there are complications with T's molting.
I've never heard of them doing so in the wild, and while there may not have been a recording or I haven't heard of it, I got to wondering why.

I acknowledge that tarantulas live longer and have better success as organisms in captivity having no predators but still, why could they have complications.

My theory In captivity they lack a mix of foods that they'd find in nature, because we don't have all the food of the jungle. (Well I do, but it's hard to catch sometimes!) maybe a balanced diet is why they have this strange difficulty.

What do you guys think?

Rivmage

3 Year Member
I wanted to touch on the point of not finding a T in the wild dying from molting issues. Most small animals that died only last for a very short time as scavenger readily dissect the remains.

Coming from a reptile background, humidity plays a big part in reptiles shedding. Depending on where the species comes from, they have a constant 80 to 100+% humidity. In the captivate environment, we may peak near those levels but over the next 24 to 48 hours, the environment drops to less than 50% of the peak humidity. Even most desert species, that live in burrows or rocky hides, have surprisingly high humidity to the comparable environment reaching into the 80% range.

Scott

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
It could be a number of causes. Husbandry or diet. Depending on the species humidity dose play a big role but for some I think what we feed them can cause issues as well. I've read a lot that says not to feed mice or other small animals to invertebrates because they are high in calcium. Calcium build up causes problems with molting over time so I've read.

Now you probably ask yourself if they eat other small animals in the wild why wouldn't we see the same problem. Back to the whole calcium thing. Most feeders we get from pet stores are meant for reptile consumption, so they're packed with calcium and other ingredients that are good for reptiles not invertebrates, not natural to what a T would come across in the wild. So maybe its not the diversity of the diet of our Ts but the diet of the prey that causes this.

Just a theory.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I'm sure arachnids in the wild have moulting issues but you guys could be onto something regarding diet, the exoskeleton is made of several layers of cuticle, a composite material containing various proteins and chitin, a long-chain polysaccharide (sugar). The chitin and protein molecules are arranged an long chains, in successive layers, like thd grain in plywood.. Anyway maybe a malnourished T doesn't have all the nutrients to breeze through a moult due to being only fed crickets for example... I personally think humidity is very important though, possibly more important... Just my thought :)
Was gonna say they probably do have problems in the wild too just no evidence, either stuck underground to decompose or a easy meal for a scavenger.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is the possibility that calcium could be a cause as most live foods are gut loaded with it for lizards etc., certainly those sold in the UK are.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very true! I've read plenty on T's and calcium tolerance... I'm no expert by any means but I've heard more arguments against feeding T's rodents due to the high calcium content than for it... Calcium is a real hot topic... I personally wouldn't dream of feeding live rodents for reasons.... lol

I was referring to crickets etc. being gut loaded but no, I won't live feed rodents to my snake, it's very much frowned on in the UK although not illegal.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I find myself feeling bad for crickets these days, will I go to hell for all the crickets I've sent to their deaths? lol
Its the circle of life, we're just trying to take care of our own. I think the same though when im fishing sometimes, I feel bad when I kill a fish for bait and don't catch anything, I feel I wasted its life for nothing, so I sure hope its not the case lol

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
My P. Reduncus blew through a molt, the only molt she's had with me. Half an hour end to end. I've fed her crickets, moths, grasshoppers, worms, small beetles, even ****roaches.
We have about 80% humidity here. But all but the worms are all organic, wild caught. So maybe the variety has something to do with it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
calcium is a no-no for any invertebrate, it lowers the production of chitin, the main component of their exoskeleton.

Diet could be, if you're feeding your prey insects high protein foods, they convert the excess protein to acids that are poisonous for inverts.

I think you may have a point with the lack of variety in the diet also. I know some people around here that refuse to give their T's anything but crickets, because someone at the lps told them that was the best food.

Latest posts