• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mold

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
Recently I've noticed some mold in the enclosure housing my Avicularia versicolor. The sling is refusing food and I think it is about to molt. Should I transport the sling into a new enclosure or wait until after it molts?

khatchet

3 Year Member
I would move it to a new enclosure as sling are very easily sickened by molt. Also all tarantula are more susceptible to mold as it is a very high stress time for them. As with all thing this lowers the immune system.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Recently I've noticed some mold in the enclosure housing my Avicularia versicolor. The sling is refusing food and I think it is about to molt. Should I transport the sling into a new enclosure or wait until after it molts?
I would move the Avic. Just a suggestion, but if you put ventilation holes right above the level of the substarte on all sides, it will pretty much stop mold from forming around a water dish, because the substrate dries out better. Your water dish will evaporate faster as well, but it's a decent trade off in my opinion.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How much mold? Is it something you can spot clean? Also, are you keeping it really moist?

This is a species that really needs a lot of ventilation; moist cages are a death sentence for them. I'm not sure how your keeping it, but if there is mold growing, it sounds like it might be too damp.

Could you post photos? :)

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
The mold isn't too extreme but there is some inside of the substrate. The enclosure has good cross ventilation. I tried to keep the substrate dry but over time it overflows and soaks into the substrate.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, there! Is it the water dish that is overflowing? If possible, I would move the dish and clean out the mold if there isn't too much. Did the mold form around a bolus?

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
I forgot to put that the water dish overflows into the substrate making it wet. The mold is only seen deep inside the substrate.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I forgot to put that the water dish overflows into the substrate making it wet. The mold is only seen deep inside the substrate.

Could you get a couple photos? Would it be possible to move the dish to another corner and clean up any surface mold, then let the substrate dry out?

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
There's no mold at the surface. It only appears deep inside of the substrate. Should I rehouse the sling or will I stress it out?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I tend to not freak out about mold as long as there isn't a lot of it. It's tough making the call whether to change out the sub or not without seeing it. If there is just a tiny bit in the corner, move the bowl, don't overflow it, and allow that corner to dry out. If there is enough ventilation, it should dry quickly, keeping the mold from spreading. If there is an explosion of mold, then a rehousing might be in order.

Yes, the move will stress the sling a bit. If it's in premolt, I would in the very least try to wait until after it molted to rehouse or clean the substrate (again, unless your enclosure is infested with it).

What are you using for substrate?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I tend to not freak out about mold as long as there isn't a lot of it. It's tough making the call whether to change out the sub or not without seeing it. If there is just a tiny bit in the corner, move the bowl, don't overflow it, and allow that corner to dry out. If there is enough ventilation, it should dry quickly, keeping the mold from spreading. If there is an explosion of mold, then a rehousing might be in order.

Yes, the move will stress the sling a bit. If it's in premolt, I would in the very least try to wait until after it molted to rehouse or clean the substrate (again, unless your enclosure is infested with it).

What are you using for substrate?

I agree with this. I personally don't freak out either about mold. I wouldn't move a tarantula in pre molt either.

Can you take pics of your set up? Maybe we can help out.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just don't think the minor stress of a rehouse is comparable to the dangers of mold, especially for an Avic. She'll get over it in a few days, a week maybe. If they can survive a molt in the mail, they'll survive that. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I lost a versi recently for unknown reasons, but my logic seems sound to me.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unfortunately, I don't think any of us can really assess the situation without photos. :(

I honestly don't fret mold that much; it happens. All it takes is a missed bolus or a wet spot under a water dish. I usually just scoop out the area and let it dry; problem solved. However, I definitely get the better safe than sorry view.

Personally, I would be more concerned with the fact that the substrate is moist enough in an Avic enclosure to allow for mold. That seems like a bigger issue. Soooo...photos? ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How much mold are we talking? Unless it's covering all of the substrate, then all you have to do is spot clean it. Might wanna also consider adding more ventilation as that is likely the cause of it.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I would move the Avic. Just a suggestion, but if you put ventilation holes right above the level of the substarte on all sides, it will pretty much stop mold from forming around a water dish, because the substrate dries out better. Your water dish will evaporate faster as well, but it's a decent trade off in my opinion.
yeah eventually you will sick and tire of the humidity requirements being such a big deal and find they can live pretty dry without a fuss. I have recently had to give up on the humidity and say to heck with it and just let the spiders deal with dry substrate and just a water dish.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
How much mold are we talking? Unless it's covering all of the substrate, then all you have to do is spot clean it. Might wanna also consider adding more ventilation as that is likely the cause of it.
yeah just a spot clean is all it has taken for me too. Ventilation is key.

Latest posts