• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moistening substrate.

ChazJ

3 Year Member
I got the loose coco fiber & was wondering how exactly to moisten it. I'm not sure if I should moisten the tank & then put the coco fiber in, layer it or use all the coco fiber I need then just moisten the walls or corner.
Also, I heard it's best to keep one side moist & one side dry. Is this true or not?
Thank you all . ^_^

ChazJ

3 Year Member
Also, if I order my spider today, I should get it tomorrow, so should I prepare everything now or before it gets here?
Again, thank you all the reply to this.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The way I do my coco is break off small pieces (I buy compressed bricks from garden supply shops) and place it in a bowl with a bit of water and squish it with my hands, adding water and substrate til I have the amount I need and it is moist but not dripping water. It just needs to be damp. Keep in mind if you have the compressed stuff it will EXPAND, more than you ever thought it would....

Depending on the specie you want to keep one side damp and one side drier. Overflowing the water bowl, and/or spritzing a 1/3 of the tank works for most guys. Some species need more humidity so there are other things you could do.

I would go ahead and have my tank ready so that you can put your T in as soon as she arrives.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what species are we talking about? for a lot of species I just over-flow the water bowl once a week.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For a B smithi, what kenny said will work fine. What size is it? Small slings can easily dehydrate and are best on moist substrate.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe he said in a previous post it is a 1.25 inch sling. So good point on making sure the substrate is nice and moist for a sling.

You also need to make sure water bowl, if used is very shallow. A T has book lungs on the bottom of it's abdomen, so it doesn't take much to drown. You might just be better off misting til it gets bigger.

ChazJ

3 Year Member
I heard that using a water dish for slings isn't the best idea b/c they may drown.
The sling I'll be getting will be between 1 & 2 inches, so just misting half of the substrate will be good enough?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At 1" you can introduce a water dish. Like I said a milk jug cap works well. As long as you do not use a huge water dish your sling is not going to drown. Make sure the cap is no bigger than 1.5 times tbe Ts leg span.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't add anything to the advice already given, but congrats on the new arrival!

ChazJ

3 Year Member
Thank you, but I haven't gotten my T yet. It should come tomorrow, which I really hope it does b/c I've been wanting a T ever since I was a youngster. My parents would never let me get one, but after I moved in w/ my grandma, I asked if I could get a snake or spider, & since she's scared of snakes, she told me I could get a spider.

Latest posts