• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moderator Nominations

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I suppose if we have to have mods, I would have to accept if it was offered, if for any reason then to try and keep this forum as it is. I do appreciate the nominations, it's very flattering, but I really, really think we're just fine without moderators. Many of the members here are Americans, yes? Didn't this country once believe in free speech, and revile censorship and the infringement of our rights? Have any of you read the forum rules already in place on ALL of the tarantula forums? When did it become common for the internet to be just another place for people to wipe their ass on my Constitution? Since I first got into this hobby, every forum I've ever been on is the same in that regard : When I read the rules I get furious. What kind of soft, disgustingly pc and sheltered little unAmerican pansies make this crap up? Anyways, vote MassExodus for moderator, 2016 :D My message for this campaign is NO CHANGE. Ya'll see whut I did thar? Huurrr.

And LOL @Fleas. You funny, man :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I suppose if we have to have mods, I would have to accept if it was offered, if for any reason then to try and keep this forum as it is. I do appreciate the nominations, it's very flattering, but I really, really think we're just fine without moderators. Many of the members here are Americans, yes? Didn't this country once believe in free speech, and revile censorship and the infringement of our rights? Have any of you read the forum rules already in place on ALL of the tarantula forums? When did it become common for the internet to be just another place for people to wipe their ass on my Constitution? Since I first got into this hobby, every forum I've ever been on is the same in that regard : When I read the rules I get furious. What kind of soft, disgustingly pc and sheltered little unAmerican pansies make this crap up? Anyways, vote MassExodus for moderator, 2016 :D My message for this campaign is NO CHANGE. Ya'll see whut I did thar? Huurrr.

I needed this laugh today :p

Fleas

3 Year Member

Yep I agree free speech is no more to people that have a high level of frame ( I guess I will call it that) just look at Hulk Hogan he called his daughter a ****** lover and he lost everything. I believe that he didn't hate blacks( just caught in the moment with a family dispute) it not like he killed one but they sure act like it.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yep I agree free speech is no more to people that have a high level of frame ( I guess I will call it that) just look at Hulk Hogan he called his daughter a n**** lover and he lost everything. I believe that he didn't hate blacks( just caught in the moment with a family dispute) it not like he killed one but they sure act like it.

Seriously? In a thread about the need for mods, someone busts out the n-word? I've been sending some young folks interested in the hobby to this board as I found it to be much more supportive to those new to the hobby than AB. Now I have to worry about language and racial slurs? Sweet. I wonder what folks who are checking out a friendly forum to discuss tarantulas will think about this?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The names that I have sent forward to Josh are:-

Mass Exodus
Scoolman
Tomoran
Therasoid
Kormath
Chubbs

I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seriously? In a thread about the need for mods, someone busts out the n-word? I've been sending some young folks interested in the hobby to this board as I found it to be much more supportive to those new to the hobby than AB. Now I have to worry about language and racial slurs? Sweet. I wonder what folks who are checking out a friendly forum to discuss tarantulas will think about this?
And this is yet another reason why not having moderators is a very bad idea IMO.

The very fact that this thread even exists means that Josh is obviously looking for moderators, therefore like it or not folks, there are going to be mods here. Personally I feel that the whole "freedom of speech" defense is a really poor argument. It goes both ways. Sure you may have moderators that abuse their power and use it in the wrong way, but at the same time, you can also have those who abuse their freedom of speech. This is a public message board, and if we want to keep such a friendly environment, then we can't have people abusing that privilege either. I don't want to start a big debate here, and those of you who may disagree with my views are welcome to, but I just felt I had to voice my opinion on the subject.

Last edited:

Thistles

3 Year Member
@Fleas and @MassExodus

Please realize that freedom of speech applies to government prosecution, not to how private individuals might respond to speech nor to how certain institutions (like tarantula forums) might choose to restrict it within their premises. I am a staunch advocate for free speech, but there is a distinction between codes of conduct, repercussions from individuals taking offense, and the sort of protection offered by the US Constitution.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have had no problems in the last few months with no mods but I do think we need people to delete all of these scammers that have begun to appear. It is a very friendly forum and I hope it will continue that way making the job of the new mods easy.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep I agree free speech is no more to people that have a high level of frame ( I guess I will call it that) just look at Hulk Hogan he called his daughter a ****** lover and he lost everything. I believe that he didn't hate blacks( just caught in the moment with a family dispute) it not like he killed one but they sure act like it.
DUDE!
IMPO that is NOT ok. not even as a quote.
I have HUGE issues with racism and any type of racial slurs, even as quotes don't belong here.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Evryone who signed up on this forum agreed to a certain degree of moderation (censorship, if you must). As such, we have all agreed to follow a set of guidlines designed to keep this forum family friendly, to avoid drama and abusive posts, to strive for for the advancement of the hobby as whole.
This is is from the very rules of this forum:

--The goal of this Site is to provide a venue where the discussion of any and all topics relating to Tarantulas may take place. It is our aim to keep this site Family-Friendly, so that users of ALL age groups may participate.

-Do not post anything blatantly rude, derogatory or insulting.
-Spamming and trolling will not be tolerated.
-Do not post explicit or otherwise inappropriate material.
-Refrain from the discussion of any illegal activity.
-Inflammatory posts deemed for the purpose of starting or instigating an argument will not be tolerated.

Violators of any of the community guidelines will be subject to warnings and temporary or permanent bans. Three temporary bans will result in a permanent ban from the site.

TarantulaForum.com shall be the sole arbiter of what does and what does not violate community standards. Threads and posts may be moved or deleted without notification, at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates these Guidelines.--

Sit back, take breath, and think; "where do I want this forum to go? What kind of information do we want to provide to those in need of help? What do I want to see from it in 5 years, 10 years?"

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here we go with the "It's for your own good" campaign. I love when someone tells me what's good for me. :) ... Anyway, let's not take Fleas comment out of context, shall we? He quoted someone and was making a point. He in no way condoned the behavior.. This is the kind of overbearing PC crap I was referring to. Think we should ban him, censor him? Lets delete his post and hang him. FFS..." Wir werden jeden Widerstand zerschlagen!" lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here we go with the "It's for your own good" campaign. I love when someone tells me what's good for me. :) ... Anyway, let's not take Fleas comment out of context, shall we? He quoted someone and was making a point. He in no way condoned the behavior.. This is the kind of overbearing PC crap I was referring to. Think we should ban him, censor him? Lets delete his post and hang him. FFS..." Wir werden jeden Widerstand zerschlagen!" lol

Why can't we just try to be civil? Let people have their opinions Mass. No need to be insulting like that. Like I said you have every right to disagree with others viewpoints on this matter, and also have a right to voice your opinions, but so do those who disagree with your viewpoint. This is obviously something that is going to happen, regardless of anyone's opinions on the matter. I just don't see what complaining about it is going to do. In the end, the end result is going to be the same, it is still going to happen. A good moderator wouldn't ban someone for making a comment like that, but they may give the person a warning via PM, or ask them to avoid including that sort of content int heir posts. Not every moderator is a control freak nor are they out to get you. Just like there are good cops and crooked cops, that doesn't mean that every cop is like that. I feel it's the same way with mods and admins. Freedom of speech does not mean that what a person says won't have any possible consequences. Anyway, that's not really up to any of us in the end, so we'll just have to wait and see what Josh has to say. Again, not trying to start anything man, I just feel like some of the sarcasm in your response was uncalled for.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And this is yet another reason why not having moderators is a very bad idea IMO.

The very fact that this thread even exists means that Josh is obviously looking for moderators, therefore like it or not folks, there are going to be mods here. Personally I feel that the whole "freedom of speech" defense is a really poor argument. It goes both ways. Sure you may have moderators that abuse their power and use it in the wrong way, but at the same time, you can also have those who abuse their freedom of speech. This is a public message board, and if we want to keep such a friendly environment, then we can't have people abusing that privilege either. I don't want to start a big debate here, and those of you who may disagree with my views are welcome to, but I just felt I had to voice my opinion on the subject.
Freedom of speech isn't a privilege, Chubbs. Nor is it just some fancy idea to be thrown away for the sake of your own security or comfort. Perhaps I'll type the definition of "right" out for everyone...naaa, lost cause, and that's a whole topic unto itself. This is the internet, my rights don't apply here...right? But you can be offended if someone types "****" on the screen, because god forbid an innocent, unknowing spider nerd blunder into the post and see it and die from the pure shock of a typed curse word. I've seen nobody abusing their "privilege" of saying what's on their mind. I've seen no threads or posts whatsoever that need deleted or modified or censored. I sincerely hope the mods powers are limited, whoever they may be, just because of this conversation right here.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Freedom of speech isn't a privilege, Chubbs. Nor is it just some fancy idea to be thrown away for the sake of your own security or comfort. Perhaps I'll type the definition of "right" out for everyone...naaa, lost cause, and that's a whole topic unto itself. This is the internet, my rights don't apply here...right? But you can be offended if someone types "****" on the screen, because god forbid an innocent, unknowing spider nerd blunder into the post and see it and die from the pure shock of a typed curse word. I've seen nobody abusing their "privilege" of saying what's on their mind. I've seen no threads or posts whatsoever that need deleted or modified or censored. I sincerely hope the mods powers are limited, whoever they may be, just because of this conversation right here.
I don't think you understand the difference between what the Constitution guarantees and instances in which one can voluntarily give up a right in order to access a particular service. I have a right to freedom of speech, but if I go into a church service and begin screaming blasphemy, they can tell me to leave. I'd be trespassing on private property if I stayed and could be arrested. That's similar to the code of conduct on a forum. You can say whatever you want, but when you elect to use this forum you are agreeing to the standards of behavior set as a condition for use. That's totally different from "free speech." It's completely voluntary.

You like guns, right? In my state (I have my CHP) any homeowner can tell me not to carry on his property and I must obey or I am breaking the law. I can own and carry my gun, but if I choose to be on someone's property, I have to follow his rules. That's a voluntary surrender of my right in exchange for access to his stuff. Does that analogy make sense?

Lee Sanchez

3 Year Member
The only part of the bill of rights that hasn't been stepped all over is the housing of troops in a home without owners consent. Gun ownership isn't a right because what it says is that the militia being necessary to insure a free state the right to bare arms can't be infringed. The militia was federalized and so if you want to bare arms as a right (swords and nuclear devices are arms too) you would have to join the national guard. As far as the moderator thing goes I think it may be useful to have a button that if enough people (not new people of course) click it then whatever it is gets deleted. This way you can have some more pretend democracy at least.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think you understand the difference between what the Constitution guarantees and instances in which one can voluntarily give up a right in order to access a particular service. I have a right to freedom of speech, but if I go into a church service and begin screaming blasphemy, they can tell me to leave. I'd be trespassing on private property if I stayed and could be arrested. That's similar to the code of conduct on a forum. You can say whatever you want, but when you elect to use this forum you are agreeing to the standards of behavior set as a condition for use. That's totally different from "free speech." It's completely voluntary.

You like guns, right? In my state (I have my CHP) any homeowner can tell me not to carry on his property and I must obey or I am breaking the law. I can own and carry my gun, but if I choose to be on someone's property, I have to follow his rules. That's a voluntary surrender of my right in exchange for access to his stuff. Does that analogy make sense?
You misunderstand me. I know the differences very well. Because its "legal" to make up little rules on a forum doesn't make it ok. Just because somethings legal, or accepted as normal, doesn't make it right. I worked in law enforcement for ten years, I'm very much aware of when my rights apply, Thistles. The Constitution doesn't apply to everything, but the ideals in it do. When you start picking away at where you want to apply it and where you don't you've already lost. I didn't give up any rights when I joined this forum..not sure where you got that idea, but no kind of contract for services somehow supersedes my rights. This is getting a little off base though, what I want to know is this: Why do ya'll feel the need to be policed? Are you afraid of something? Has there been some bullying I missed? The only thing wrong here is some recent spam. So what if some troll starts trolling, or 2 people get in an argument? So what?? Never mind, the admin has already decided we need mods, I'm wasting my time. I just don't get it..One of the reasons I always liked this forum was that it was mostly always relaxed, people just come to chill and share their experiences and chat. There are no alarmist moderators deleting and censoring threads, altering posts, that kind of stupid, petty crap that certain "types" of people are so fond of, simply because they don't agree with something contained in them( I thought long and hard on that sentence so I didn't use insults and curse words).. I like how the majority of the people calling for mods are regulars at other forums..that is very telling indeed :).. thanks for your input, folks. We need more forums exactly like yours...

Latest posts