• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

micheldied's picture thread

micheldied

3 Year Member
Thought I'd gather my photos in one place.

Theraphosa stirmi molting. Pics were difficult to take because it was pretty deep in its hide.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

Damon diadema, about 1 inch body length.
DSC_0018.JPG

micheldied

3 Year Member
Those are amazing photos! I love the one of the tarantula shedding, ours has only done so once so far.

Thank you, though they are far from amazing (my old lens was so much better for macro shots, this lens isn't at all suited to it). Oddly enough, in all the years I've owned Ts, I've only witnessed molts a handful of times.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you, though they are far from amazing (my old lens was so much better for macro shots, this lens isn't at all suited to it). Oddly enough, in all the years I've owned Ts, I've only witnessed molts a handful of times.
Look pretty good to me . I have a Nikon D80 with macro lenses etc but find a good zoom and flash on the phone camera can get some awesome shots too. Most of mine in the picture gallery including slings is just on my Galaxy smart phone. Get molt shots. Always love watching the process and the transformation they go through. Nice work fella

micheldied

3 Year Member
Look pretty good to me . I have a Nikon D80 with macro lenses etc but find a good zoom and flash on the phone camera can get some awesome shots too. Most of mine in the picture gallery including slings is just on my Galaxy smart phone. Get molt shots. Always love watching the process and the transformation they go through. Nice work fella

It's amazing what some of the phones these days can do, photography-wise. Thanks!

GitaBooks

3 Year Member
I'm thankful for having a camera and all, but our camera is really terrible. Sometimes when you try to zoom out it zooms in (actually, most of the time) and sometimes when you click to take a photo it won't take one... no matter how many times you try to get it too. Its focus is bad, its got dust in the lens, and it either blurs or over-saturates the picture with light.

Oh well, at least I have pictures of my animals.

I can't wait to get a new camera. : )

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just so we're clear, I intend to pester you off and on with update requests on those Arana Pollito babies :) So yeah. Any new pics? What are they doing right now? Lol

micheldied

3 Year Member
Just so we're clear, I intend to pester you off and on with update requests on those Arana Pollito babies :) So yeah. Any new pics? What are they doing right now? Lol

Here's the update; all 3 have fed. They hit prey like Theraphosa do. Unfortunately 2 were in their burrows, so I couldn't get decent pictures. The last one doesn't seem to have made any sort of burrow at all under the cork bark.

DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Also, one of the T. stirmi molted. I'm pretty sure it's male, unless the spermathecae are so small that I can't see them. I'm actually pretty sure both my T. stirmi are males. For some reason, this one decided to molt in an open corner of the enclosure, instead of in its burrow where it usually hides.

DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I showed my little niece the chicken spider, I have her convinced that they cluck like a chicken..and that's how they got their name. Lol. Loving these pics. Man I don't even try to sex them that small, even with a scope. I usually wait till they're 2 inches or so..which should be in about a week for these, haha.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I showed my little niece the chicken spider, I have her convinced that they cluck like a chicken..and that's how they got their name. Lol. Loving these pics. Man I don't even try to sex them that small, even with a scope. I usually wait till they're 2 inches or so..which should be in about a week for these, haha.

Lol the less-innocent story of them dragging chickens down burrows isn't quite suited for children, eh? (Although such a story would have greatly intrigued me as a child) I'm actually far better at ventral sexing than sexing with a molt (I don't even know when the spermathecae develop enough to see). I've been pretty much almost a hundred percent right sexing them from as small as 1.5", though some species I can't tell until a little larger.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol the less-innocent story of them dragging chickens down burrows isn't quite suited for children, eh? (Although such a story would have greatly intrigued me as a child) I'm actually far better at ventral sexing than sexing with a molt (I don't even know when the spermathecae develop enough to see). I've been pretty much almost a hundred percent right sexing them from as small as 1.5", though some species I can't tell until a little larger.
Must be nice...im good with a scope but my vent sexing leaves something to be desired, unless its an adult. Maybe poor eyesight, or second guessing is screwing me up, but on the smaller ones under a few inches, my record sucks..ive been wrong several times.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Some of the molts from just this past week.
DSC_0006.JPG

@MassExodus is probably going to enjoy these. Two of the three Chicken Spiders have molted. The last one is lagging behind quite a bit. They've grown considerably with the molt.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Usually, I like them big. But I have heart for the little and pretty as well. I've never had dwarves before!

Cyriocosmus chicoi
DSC_0009.JPG

Cyriocosmus perezmilesi
DSC_0013.JPG

I seem to have rotten luck with my Pokies these days. 90% sure this Poecilotheria "bara" is male, like the first P. subfusca I received here. It's got some crooked toes, but those should be fine with a molt or two.
DSC_0019.JPG

Confirmed female Poecilotheria subfusca.
DSC_0026.JPG

She pooped on me. Never had this happen before.
DSC_0028.JPG

Poor ventral shot.
DSC_0029.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sweet. I bet the laggard is a female :) I'm interested in a bunch of the dwarves too, I just haven't gotten to them yet..The perez milesi and the elegans are both on my list, I like the chicoi too.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Sweet. I bet the laggard is a female :) I'm interested in a bunch of the dwarves too, I just haven't gotten to them yet..The perez milesi and the elegans are both on my list, I like the chicoi too.

Hopefully the slower growing ones are male! I'd like the females to mature before the males since they're so hard to find, and finding a female for an MM and vice versa will be difficult. Unless, of course, they start becoming easily available within the next few years.

I really like the dwarves as well. I love extremes; Ts either have to be very large or very small. I don't quite like most of the species in-between, though there are a few(many) exceptions. I really wanted to try an N. incei communal, as well as a H. gabonensis communal, but as it stands I don't have the space for that.

Latest posts