• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mexican red knee tank

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Hi all,
I know theres loads of people who go nuts when they hear of a spider being kept on sand, but i know three people who have kept their Ts on sand, one spider was on sand for 26 yrs and the others just over 12yrs (all mexican red knees). I personally have only used the spider substrate from www.thespidershop.co.uk and local pet shops. But yesterday I moved my red knee into larger tank and have got a small section with sand for her, aswell as her usual substrate. Shes had a good old wander and seems to like it. I keep her substrate a good few inches deep but shes never dug/burrowed (which i think is great as i get to see her prettiness all day long).
Was wondering if anyone keeps any live/real plants in their tanks?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I use artificial ones. You could attempt live plants but then you have to maintain them to keep them alive and such. I also read somewhere that live plants can harbor mites and other vermin. Hopefully you'll get some answers from people who actually have used real plants.

khatchet

3 Year Member
i have tried live plant and they all die. Plus i love that tarantula dont need lights then you have to put one on there

khatchet

3 Year Member
Go to the petco web site all my plants have come from there. They sell the exo taira ones

khatchet

3 Year Member
Oh sorry yeah it is. Im not sure about there but every pet store i go to here has a few good fake plants.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Pet stores here are rubbish with things like that, they have the odd one or two fake plants for fish tanks, but they are either tiny or horrid and have looked in other household stores but all their plastic and silk plants look like something from a grotty old home :(
Might leave plants altogether, just wanted something to fill in some space in her new tank as its rather large, but i must say she seems comfortable enough. Shes had a good walk everywhere and is starting to make a web from her branch to halloween skull as im typing this and yesterday she was chilling out cleaning her fangs (i love watching her do that), she hasnt hidden away in her cave at all. Dont know if i should feed her tomorrow or give her an extra few days to settle into new tank a bit more

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yeah i dont have plant in any my tarantulas tank i keep them in some othere pets tanks tho.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pet stores here are rubbish with things like that, they have the odd one or two fake plants for fish tanks, but they are either tiny or horrid and have looked in other household stores but all their plastic and silk plants look like something from a grotty old home :(
Might leave plants altogether, just wanted something to fill in some space in her new tank as its rather large, but i must say she seems comfortable enough. Shes had a good walk everywhere and is starting to make a web from her branch to halloween skull as im typing this and yesterday she was chilling out cleaning her fangs (i love watching her do that), she hasnt hidden away in her cave at all. Dont know if i should feed her tomorrow or give her an extra few days to settle into new tank a bit more

I will second that, decorations and plants are rubbish in UK. Very expensive for decent stuff and hard to find. Would love to see a picture of your red knee.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Here she is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382541869.911536.jpg

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Put some food in tank earlier and she flew at it straight away, nice to know shes all settled in her new digs :) x

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Thank you :) yh love watching them do that, and cleaning their fangs and grooming her legs...i could watch her for hours

john60wales

3 Year Member
I've got to be honest I've tried fake plants....they do make the enclosures nicer...BUT...I found the roaches [which is my live food of choice] just used the foliage to hide in if the T did not eat it immediately. I soon got rid of all the fake plants & the T's can now 'hunt' a lot easier.
Just my 10-bobs worth..
cheers
John

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Oddly enough even though i haven't found any plants i like yet i was worried about that. Even though she happily walks around the whole tank she will only catch her food in one place, so if they did hide shes too damn lazy to go after them

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are so lazy I have to drop dinner right in front of mine as they can't be bothered to chase it either.

Latest posts