• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mexican Red Knee Molting

cameron121901

3 Year Member
I just got my Mexican Red Knee Tarantula yesterday, and it had been 2 days after molting. When I put my tarantula in its' terrarium, it crawled to the top left corner of its terrarium. The tarantula was using a bowl of water at the pet store, with rocks in the bottom so it wouldn't drown. I decided to buy and use a sponge. I'm worried that my tarantula might be dehydrated, because its abdomen is quite small for the size it should be, and it hasn't been moving much. So my question is, should I move my tarantula to the bottom to find some water, or should I just leave it alone on the side of the terrarium since he/she just recently molted?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
get rid of the sponge, they're just a bacteria/mold trap. Use a water dish like the pet store had, you don't need anything in it if you don't want, that's just to keep the feeders from drowning usually, or for tiny slings.

To answer your question, leave it alone. never move or mess with a T for at least a week after molting. Gotta give it time to harden up. Need more info on your enclosure and pics would help. What substrate, how wet, etc. etc.

cameron121901

3 Year Member
Thx kormath. Another question- When I got my T from the petstore, one of the employees said to not feed or touch it for three weeks. Some web pages say one to two weeks. My T molted 4 days ago. My T's body is about an inch and a half to two inches, and two and a half to three inches when including legspan. It's been moving once in a while. And moved a lot more in the night. How long should I wait until I hold it or feed it? Is three weeks too long or should I just listen to that employee?

cameron121901

3 Year Member
Here's a picture:

Attachments

• 1472080369267-1253051009.jpg
    1472080369267-1253051009.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Three weeks is okay for an adult Brachypelma, but maybe a little too long for a young Brachypelma like yours. I'd advise you to wait around 10 days after molt and try give her a cricket. If she takes it right away, let her eat it without disturbing, and the next day, give one more. Then you can wait for a week to give one or two more, and so on. When I feed a T the following weeks after a molt, I give a little more food (= two crickets a week for a T the size of yours). But after a few weeks, I only give one big cricket a week, and that's it.

About the setup: most of the time, Brachypelma don't hide in captivity (when not spiderlings). For them, substrate has to stay dry, with just a full waterdish available. It would be better to bury the hide you provided for 3/4 and just leave the entrance open. She'll feel safer that way, if needed. Main point for a Brachy setup is to watch out for the risks of fall: as they sometimes climb (and fall), the substrate should be high enough, and there shouldn't be stuff which could be hazardous if they fall on them.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

cameron121901

3 Year Member
So my dad "doesn't want to take any chances" when it comes to the T after it molts. He says that I can handle the tarantula after two weeks, but I can't feed it until after three. In a way this doesn't make any sense at all. Should I feed it first? Is it okay for me to handle my T before I feed it after molting?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't advise handling them at all, but it's your spider ;)

If the fangs are black it can be fed and handled. the black fangs indicate the exoskeleton has hardened.

I would strongly suggest feeding before handling. Just like any creature they'll be less aggressive or defensive if they've eaten. I always feed mine before i do cleaning,etc. i get less threat poses, or in the case of the A. genic less attacks on the tongs and water dish ;)

So your dad has it backwards, feed first then handle

cameron121901

3 Year Member
So I have talked to my dad about this and he has agreed to get a bowl instead of a sponge, and to feed it after 10 days, and handle it sometime after. Thanks for the info guys!