• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mexican Red Knee is building a wall.

Bryce VS

3 Year Member
100_0329.JPG
Well I'm new to this forum so I figured I should ask something lol.
My Red Knee is building a wall in the enterance of his cave.
I'm not sure why this is, I just got a Fogger for his cage because i couldnt keep the humidity right, so i thought maybe he didn't like the fog coming in, so i stopped it for a few days but he didnt tear it down, and so i turned it back on yesterday and today he built it up farther so it almost closes up the entire enterance.
Has anyone seen this before or know whats going on?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They do this sometimes. Nothing to worry about. Probably just settling in.
Contrary to popular belief, RedKnees are a dry species. So, the fogger is probably not the best idea. I keep all my Brachypelma species (red knees genus) at 40-50% Humidity.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is there too much light near his tank? T's no likey the lighty.

Also, tanks are horrid for keeping the humidity up. It may not look as nice but sweater boxes rock. See Kenny's post about cheap enclosures. One fo these would be more than sufficient to maintain the 75-80% they typically need.

Atx13

3 Year Member
They do this sometimes. Nothing to worry about. Probably just settling in.
Contrary to popular belief, RedKnees are a dry species. So, the fogger is probably not the best idea. I keep all my Brachypelma species (red knees genus) at 40-50% Humidity.
Lower humidity is fine with a B. smithi, as Kenny stated.

Is there too much light near his tank? T's no likey the lighty..
if its to bright in your room, they'll try to block it out some to get comfortable.
She might also be trying to get comfortable with her new setting, and just not wanting to be social right now ;), nothing to worry about.

Bryce VS

3 Year Member
Lower humidity is fine with a B. smithi, as Kenny stated.

if its to bright in your room, they'll try to block it out some to get comfortable.
She might also be trying to get comfortable with her new setting, and just not wanting to be social right now ;), nothing to worry about.

I have a White light and Red light on a day night timer (white for day, red for night), and I have them sitting right on the top of the tank...is that wrong? Is that to bright or something? I'm pretty new to this and I don't have everything down because of so many different opinions and I'm just constantly worried I'm going to mess up and kill my new tarantula.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perhaps the white light is a little bit too bright (or close) and your T is trying to get away from it. I have our T in my bedroom and just allow the natural day/light cycle. I'm pretty sure they can't really see red light, so as long as it's not making the T too hot I can't see that being an issue at all.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a White light and Red light on a day night timer (white for day, red for night), and I have them sitting right on the top of the tank...is that wrong? Is that to bright or something? I'm pretty new to this and I don't have everything down because of so many different opinions and I'm just constantly worried I'm going to mess up and kill my new tarantula.

Get rid of the lights. They do nothing and spiders don't like light. As long as your house is in the 70s temp wise, you have nothing to worry about. Even the high 60s are ok.

Bryce VS

3 Year Member
Perhaps the white light is a little bit too bright (or close) and your T is trying to get away from it. I have our T in my bedroom and just allow the natural day/light cycle. I'm pretty sure they can't really see red light, so as long as it's not making the T too hot I can't see that being an issue at all.

The tank is right near the heat vent in the main part of the living room and with the white/red light switching it stays at 73 without the furnace running and 78 with the furnace running, no matter what the light might be on at the time. Would it mess with my tarantula to switch to just red light for awhile to see how he reacts? just to see if the white light is whats causing the weird behavior...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The tank is right near the heat vent in the main part of the living room and with the white/red light switching it stays at 73 without the furnace running and 78 with the furnace running, no matter what the light might be on at the time. Would it mess with my tarantula to switch to just red light for awhile to see how he reacts? just to see if the white light is whats causing the weird behavior...
Does your living room get any natural light? I definitely don't see it causing the spider any harm simply by removing that light source. Though it really could be nothing to worry about in the first place.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have Karina on a shelf, she's shielded from direct sunlight (and I always have my blinds drawn..because of window placement and a fear of pervy neighbors Lol), and I keep her with no lights other than that. Though I do use a flashlight or a red light to watch her at night :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
occasional light is ok. just no direct light. They can be in a lit room, but preferably in an bookcase or shelving unit. to provide some shade.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey, my juvy b. smithi also walled up its cave entrance with substrate and the remainder top opening with webbing to molt. So, this really was not an isolated behavior. Sure glad that I've been reading up to old posts. :D

I only hope that it will come out soon so that I can properly feed. However, I will be waiting ten days after the molt to start feeding as a rule. :cool:

Latest posts