• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Samson

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not quite home yet, been on the road about five hours. He's going to be beautiful once he's groomed and his allergies taken care of. Nice guy, 89.6 lbs he'll be over a hundred when he's fit.
image.jpeg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Awww, he's gorgeous. I'm guessing he's been neglected poor lad.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Think the fellow that had him simply didn't have time for him. So he's a bit neglected but not horribly so :(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely, always had a shepherd growing up. One of my favorite breeds. :) he's two so just out of puppyhood. Think he's going to be a good fit with our other shepherd and the rest of the pack. :D

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, he's a handsome boy. Shepherds with all those health issues they may carry are such a great breed. My old boy still learns new tricks at over 10.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope he's doing well Kymura. Introducing a new member to the pack can be stressful. Any other big males? That would complicate things..
We have two other males (my little guy isn't really with the rest of the pack so no big issue and he's neutered.so I don't count him) Jake is separated but we did introduce them and it went really well. Jabba is unsure of him but not aggressive with him. Samson (renamed Commander Shepard) is very much Beta. He's not the Omega dog, so they don't push him around but no challenge towards the others at all so far. Keeping a close eye but I think he's going to fit in well. Have to see how he does once he knows this is home :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I found shepherds are a "sharp" breed (as in they take no cr@p from other dogs and when they correct or challenge behaviour it looks and sounds quite aggressive), but they usually settle their "issues" and ranking relatively quickly.
One mistake some people make (you're used to having multiple dogs in the house, so will know your stuff :) ) is not to let the dogs move on after a squabble, i.e. keep them separate or suppress any communication between the dogs. That's how long term relationship problems start, IMHO.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We've done a lot of rescue and have always kept a mixed pack. So usually ours come with a few issues to work out. There's a definite ranking order in my house and I'm alpha, so no worries.
I love shepherds, when our Belle scolds another dog anyone who didn't know her would think she was vicious, she's just being a shepherd, she's a little oversized and well over a hundred pounds, so she's a big girl. And the sweetest thing ever with her family. :p
She has been known to shoulder check the others if they squabble, then stand there and grumble at them for a few. Any working breed is a bit different then the typical lap dog. That's why I adore them though. And in my book the only thing that beats them for intelligence is a Border collie :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love shepherds, when our Belle scolds another dog anyone who didn't know her would think she was vicious, she's just being a shepherd, she's a little oversized and well over a hundred pounds, so she's a big girl. And the sweetest thing ever with her family. :p
She has been known to shoulder check the others if they squabble, then stand there and grumble at them for a few. Any working breed is a bit different then the typical lap dog. That's why I adore them though. And in my book the only thing that beats them for intelligence is a Border collie :)
Wow, she's a big girl, heavier than my boy, who stands quite tall at 74cm and weighs about 92lbs. He's quite long and slender though. She's not a Shiloh or King Shepherd, is she? Have you got a picture somewhere <3 ?

It's quite funny taking part in German Shepherd walks. When 2 or more dogs have their little disagreements, owners just look at them like "Are they hurting each other? Is there blood? No. Good, carry on!" and usually it's done within seconds and the dogs walk side by side or get on as soon as you give them space from each other.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine stop immediately if I bark out a command or snap my fingers at them. Then they are all little puppy suck ups, lowered heads with that twisted little grin and the tail wagging. Soon as I tell them they're fine they are off and running happy again. Love my pack :)
Let me See if I have a picture of Belle, she's a rescue also, of a sorts. My phone was destroyed by a nurse at the hospital so didn't get to move much and my pc is being repaired, nope I'll try to get one of her later on though. .

Latest posts