• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male/female cobalt blue Haplopelma lividum

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Can someone help me sex my new cobalt blue. It's a bad picture I know but I've had it for two days and the shop claimed it's a female I'm not to sure though it's abdomen is very small

Attachments

• 20151209_182724.jpg
    20151209_182724.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 481

Thistles

3 Year Member
How large is it? Males and females look pretty much the same until the male matures. If it's large, like adult size, then it is indeed a lady but she needs some good chow to fatten her up.

Joe williams

3 Year Member
I'd say she/he's about around 3.5- 4" it's hard to tell with her as she's so fast and rarely has her legs sprawled as burrows and I'm not gunna handle her she's evil haha. I know that when mature the males loose there blue colour.

Thistles

3 Year Member
It can be sexed ventrally at that size pretty easily, so if they say it's female I'd believe them. Just give her some deep damp substrate to burrow in and enjoy seeing the tips of her toes.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah she is tried to re home her today and my god is she quick dont want to get tagged by her as my first bite
You might wanna check out the bag method then. I know rehousing certain species can be a bit unnerving, but it really shouldn't be that difficult in the end. I'm assuming you've worked with species like this before. I rehoused an S.calceatum 2 weeks ago, and as I was trying to coax her out of the old enclosure, she came flying out and actually jumped onto my bed. Fortunately I always keep an extra deli cup around for when I rehouse, so I was able to place it over her and from then on it went pretty smoothly. The key is simply to remain calm. If the spider bolts then just let it run, as they have to stop after a few seconds in between anyway. Don't try to slam the lid down really fast, that's how accidents happen.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Large flat carapace, leggy, little butt..that does not look like a female tarantula, it looks like a subadult male creeping up on his ultimate molt. Maybe the small abdomen is playing tricks on me, but that looks very male. I have a female C lividus, she looks very female, not like him. I could be wrong, I'm guessing by a pic alone, but that looks like a male spider.

mmm 056.jpg

Latest posts