• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mail ordering supplies

kheymann

3 Year Member
Being disabled alot of my supplies will be coming via mail order. I am curious what some of you consider as reputable sites.

Also, have a question on some of the stuff I have seen online.. you can actually order a Tant. Via mail?? .. I would assume this would stress it out to no ends. What is your views on this as well or should I wait and get it at a shop? I am looking to get my setup complete come Christmas time as a present to myself.. :) So much stuff for a setup seems overwhelming as a newbie. Lots of reading and watching youtube videos for now until I move in October and focus on this.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Ken the Bug Guy is a reputable online vendor. I'm not sure about shipping. I would be very cautious due to the fragile nature of Tarantulas...

kheymann

3 Year Member
I don't want to wait so long to get one but it appears in my area May 11, 2013 they have a Reptile expo with alot of tarantula type vendors. I'm sure if I dig in and do some more research I will find some local breeder or something of the like. I just honestly don't want to get one at a big chain retailer like Petsmart. Would rather purchase something like this from someone that knows what they're dealing with, if that makes sense?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
That definitely makes sense and I doubt you will get that with a pet store chain. Maybe with a bit more research you can find a local breeder...

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
I have received dozens of T's through the mail, and just recently shipped off a mature male Costa Rican Zebra (Aphonopelma seemanni) for two Red Slate Ornamentals (P. rufilata) and my Togo Starburst (H.maculata) that was on credit. tarantulaguy1976 on YouTube has a packing tutorial video that may help put your mind at ease. Tarantulas are far more durable than we give them credit for;)

As a Canadian I dont deal with American Breeders, however I do talk to many American enthusiasts, and have yet to here anything but A+ reviews from KenTheBugGuy.

The only thing you need to be concerned with is LAG and shipping fees.

LAG (Live Arrival Guarantee) it depends on the dealer/breeder. They all offer different LAGs. On average they give you between 2 to 7 days to let them know if your T arrived dead. Usually an email with a pic will suffice. You are expected to repay shipping, though. LAG only gets you a replacement T.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm hoping we can coerce more and more breeders/vendors out there to join our community. If you know anyone, be sure to refer them to TF! Thanks!

Latest posts