• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lp Breeding Project

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah if he's on a loan from another member then I would do everything possible to protect him. My plan is to have some sort of divider - plexiglass / lid to a sterile tub and some tongs, basically hover over them on the ready to intervene if needed. I guess I'll see how it goes when the time comes, things never seem to go exactly as you plan it out in your mind. I've heard/read of those perfect breedings with no aggression what so ever and the male can simply walk away from her without harm, dunno how much of a reality that is.
It's very much a reality. I paired my porteri four times. The first three times she was a perfect, gentle lady. The last time, she caught us both by surprise and immediately crunched her fangs through the top of his carapace :( It was my fault because I had already witnessed a succesful insertion, and wanted to be sure, and pushed it too far. He was the coolest, sweetest spider Ive ever had. She spent three days eating him. She kept going back to the juicy abdomen...ahh god...*sob* ...uhguhhuuuu..I need my pills...

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well its a risk thats out there. even if its someone elses spider, they know the risks involved. plus in nature they r going to die soon after mating anyways so i guess they firgure why not get sustenance from him. Better than mantids eating only the head....what the hell does that prove. lol

Let us know how it goes mass

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is exactly why I'll.never breed, I will tearfully ship my males of and hope for a dozen slings :) figure I'll get at least one girl that way.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well its a risk thats out there. even if its someone elses spider, they know the risks involved. plus in nature they r going to die soon after mating anyways so i guess they firgure why not get sustenance from him. Better than mantids eating only the head....what the hell does that prove. lol

Let us know how it goes mass
Mantids do that? They just eat the head? They don't even kill them for sustenance? So, mantid females have evolved closer to human females..interesting. :D

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Interesting about the mantid females only munching on the heads. I've been very intrigued with keeping mantids but have never done it. I dunno seems like scorpions are the 'true lovers' I mean they at least have very ritual matting dance called (promeade à deux) at least for the species that aren't parthenogenetic.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Parthenogenic scorps are my current fascination. My little T stigmurus carries my dreams with her. They mature, and then every three to four months, babies:D Rather venomous babies, from all reports, but orange, with racing stripes? Sold. I just wont juggle with them :p

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I don't like the idea of the males being eaten either. I don't think I could take going back every day and seeing him in varying stages of being consumed. Very sad.
I've watched some breeding videos online and it seems that the males escape plenty of times. I know that people just don't post videos of the ones who don't make it, but it seems like they often have a decent shot at getting away. Sometimes the females are still up in the air and don't even realize that he is gone.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, my female is coming back slowly from the molt. She looks good, still was plump right aftr the molt. But her appetite isn't back fully. She's eaten three adult dubias since two weeks after her molt. She ignored the last one until a few days later. I'm waiting for her to come fully back to herself and powerfeed. Otherwise Ron is a dead man..I really don't like his chances to begin with. He's not aggressive enough.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I work tonight, but tomorrow night I'm going to give it a shot..she's unusually calm, I need to take advantage of it, even if it's a dirty trick to get to him. LOL. Usually when I put my hand next to her she slaps me. I changed her water a few minutes ago and she was a sweetheart. She's fat and has a roach in her enclosure, so she's not hungry. Fingers crossed. Don't know how many pics I'll get..I need to be ready. She's not fooling me :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I work tonight, but tomorrow night I'm going to give it a shot..she's unusually calm, I need to take advantage of it, even if it's a dirty trick to get to him. LOL. Usually when I put my hand next to her she slaps me. I changed her water a few minutes ago and she was a sweetheart. She's fat and has a roach in her enclosure, so she's not hungry. Fingers crossed. Don't know how many pics I'll get..I need to be ready. She's not fooling me :D

Good luck :). I hope he manages to do the job and survives.

Latest posts