• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lost a Morio in Grammostola rosea's tank?

G-Johnson

3 Year Member
Hey guys,

Brand new to the site, so I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong section.
Myself and my partner are new to tarantulas and got ourselves a rosea yesterday, she seems to be settling in perfect and we've instantly fallen in love with her! (I'll post some photos at some point)
(I'm presuming she is also a female, we've done a lot of research but if someone could give me some advice with that at some point it would be appreciated too..) :confused:

We just have one concern..
We attempted to feed her a morio yesterday, which burrowed in no time and Peaches showed no interest.
Will it be unsafe to leave the morio in her viv? I know they evolve into beetles so I would hate for it to try and hurt my Peaches! Its not a problem finding the morio and taking it out if so..

G-Johnson

3 Year Member
Although I only posted this around 15 minutes ago I thought I'd share an update, the morio has been found and removed lol!

Won't be doing that again in a hurry :oops:

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it if your T is not pre-molt. I used to feed my rose mealworms but I stopped using them partly because of this, I lost one or two mealworms in the substrate then a lot of months later two dark beetles came out of the dam floor XD. If you use mealworms I'd advise holding them with forceps/tweezers whilst feeding the T, or just being on standby for if they try and do a runner :)

G-Johnson

3 Year Member
I've been told she may be in pre-molt, she did eat a locust eventually, managed to remove the evil morio in the end anyway lol, I wont be trying it again (unless I crush its head, as been told by others it stops them from burrowing)

Dixie Ann Mahaffie

3 Year Member
Is a morio at type of roach? Just curious because I am researching roaches. I am planning on getting the Blatta lateralis: Red Runner/Turkistan roaches. I understand they are pretty fast, but they do not climb or burrow. I tried the dubia and they burrowed. I don't like to have to crush their heads or mutilate them in any way before feeding them.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
Is a morio at type of roach? Just curious because I am researching roaches. I am planning on getting the Blatta lateralis: Red Runner/Turkistan roaches. I understand they are pretty fast, but they do not climb or burrow. I tried the dubia and they burrowed. I don't like to have to crush their heads or mutilate them in any way before feeding them.

mario is a large meal worm !!!;)