• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Losing a T

MadsSpiders

3 Year Member
I've been looking to get back into tarantula keeping after not having one for a couple of years now. I lost my girl a. Ferina and have always felt a lot of guilt for her passing as I always wonder if there was something I could of done to stop her passing so have kept on talking myself out of getting another till recently. I want to return to keeping t's but am afraid of feeling what I felt when my girl passed. Any advice guys?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think we always feel an element of guilt when we lose a T but 9 times out of 10 there is nothing we could have done differently. Go ahead and get another one and enjoy.

MadsSpiders

3 Year Member
Thank you, I've heard it's the same with a lot of pets that pass away. I was only really told that she was an adult female, and kept her how I was told, then she went off her food and passed. They're just such amazing, beautiful creatures that I really do want to start again, with a bit more knowledge behind me :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If she was an adult when you got her then she would have just come to the end of her natural life and there would be nothing you could have done. Next time buy a sling or a juvenile and you will have so much more time to enjoy it :).
Any questions you have just ask and someone will try to help.

MadsSpiders

3 Year Member
Thank you again, I only had her for around a year and a half, but as I was told she was an adult female and that was it, I have no clue how old she was overall. I feel more positive going forward though and look forward to starting the hobby again :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Losing any pet, be it a dog, cow or tarantula it will feel awful, but the only way to cope is to buy more. I lost my GBB a few months ago and it hit me hard because she was huge, yet extremely docile for the species, but I knew the only way to cope is to get more tarantulas, so now I just bought eight more last week. I've lost a few already and each time it hits hard, but I quickly figured out how to cope.

Latest posts