• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Long shot: GBB sling molt (ca. 3/4")

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry not the clearest pic, as the molt is very small and very thin (nearly see through).
IMG_6610_zpse3e5e9f4.jpg

I don't know, to me it looks male, but I'm not an expert at sexing molts (it's not like my Genic where the "lady bits" were as clear as rain, lol).

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My GBB was hard to sex via molts until she reached 3", then it was clear she was female. The molt prior I had people saying male so it's too early on yours I think.
That must have been a nice surprise, HG. I'm not too fussed about the gender of my T slings, although just for longevity as opposed to short lifespan of males especially with the GBB, A. Versi and the T. Gigas, it would be nice if they were girls.
@Entity : When I wrote my post earlier I was in a rush and couldn't think of the scientific expression and "lady bits" was the politest way I could think of, lol.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol. Im not complaining....its nice to know what someone was talking about for a change. :)

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Wow. You got that shot with a 3/4 sling molt? Or am I confused? (It happens a lot LOL)

3 inches is a good rule of thumb when it comes to sexing. This is just my opinion though.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, the molt is a bout 3/4" legspan. I used my macro attachment and then cropped the pic to zoom in. It took quite a while and a lot of swearing and cursing, lol.

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
That's one heck of a macro attachment! That's a clear pic for such a tiny sling! I probably would have thrown the thing out of frustration.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's actually quite a cheap one, but it takes quite clear pictures, providing you can hold it perfectly still.
Trust me, I was nearly at the point of throwing it away, lol. Try take a picture with 2 dogs, 3 kids and a husband breathing down your neck. Nearly told them to go away in a less polite manner.

Latest posts