• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little Kenyan roaches

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I got 50 of these little beasties to feed my smaller slings, and they ate them like candy. My rosea typically wanders or climbs the wall before eating a pinhead lateralis, but she went right after one of these Little Kenyan guys.

Adult size is about 1/2", nymphs are about 2mm.

Had to be careful unboxing these, I couldn't feel the smallest ones running up my fingers and hands. Would be very easy to have escapees.

20160512_173416.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They invasive too hun?
Thinking of rice flour beetles for the small slings. Tiny softer meal worm type things.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool little feeders, I have 24 I'm going to start a colony with. It should be interesting to see how fast they multiply. @Kymura I don't think even the invasive species become a problem very often..ive had several species of roach escape my custody ;) I've had zero issues. Its like when a few come in from outside, they don't automatically breed and become a problem. They need food, moisture, etc. In a clean house they die pretty fast, usually. There are exceptions, but as long as you try to keep escapees to a minimum, you can safely keep any species you like ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool little feeders, I have 24 I'm going to start a colony with. It should be interesting to see how fast they multiply. @Kymura I don't think even the invasive species become a problem very often..ive had several species of roach escape my custody ;) I've had zero issues. Its like when a few come in from outside, they don't automatically breed and become a problem. They need food, moisture, etc. In a clean house they die pretty fast, usually. There are exceptions, but as long as you try to keep escapees to a minimum, you can safely keep any species you like ;)
Agreed, these are non-climbing, but you really gotta watch them as they're tiny and i can't feel the smaller ones crawl on me. I can watch them run across the back of my hand but i can't feel it.

I won't have little slings for long that can eat these little guys, the rosea mostly, until she molts a time or 2 more. then she'll be big enough for the pinhead lateralis. I think i'll breed these also just to have a variety until she totally outgrows them. at 1/2" full grown i can feed them off until she's an inch or so then it won't really be worth it to feed her a couple at a time.

As for invasive, even though lateralis are said to be i have had no problems yet. They can't climb smooth surfaces, so they're easy to catch if one does happen to escape. Seems i find one here and there running across the hallway or somewhere. Not sure if they've escaped when i or my son was feeding or found a way out of the vent holes in the enclosures. They're easy to catch and when i do find them i give one of the Ts a mid week snack ;)

Now i use a 2nd bin when sorting them out in the catch cups to feed with. I think that's where most of our escapes happened. This way they just fall into that 2nd bin or climb out into that bin and can't get away. Since we started doing that I haven't found any around the house. Trick is never lose more than one at a time. that way they can't breed and invade ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm excited to be getting 300 red goblins. Can't wait to see how they do. Wont be shipped til the 25th though. They remind me alot of lateralis. Which I hated at first, but now find invaluable...

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Very nice, I really like this species, I'll have to get some one day. :) FYI, in case you didn't know, these have been identified, or at least identified down to genus level, they are a Paraplecta species.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're kind of like the dubia for feeders. Not a lot of movement but at least they don't burrow. They will run if the T gets close though so that helps over the dubia playing dead.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
right same here. just putting that out there for those that still struggle with FFF for their tiny slings :)

My new caught jumping spider "Popeye" was really happy with the half sized Little Kenyan i fed him :)