• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Little bit of assistance :)

Chantico171

3 Year Member
Heya guys im new here and was just wondering if anyone could help me sex my Chillian Rose.

Molted yesterday.....
DSC_0250.JPG
DSC_0251.JPG

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
The molt posted looks male to me. The after molt pic also looks male and maybe a MM does he have bulbous pedipalps? and does he have mating hooks under the front two legs at the second joint up from the foot?
If it is a MM and you're interested in selling him let me know, i have a female.
You can see the swollen palps and mating hooks in this shot of my MM G. poretri
2015-08-30 14.34.19.jpg

2015-08-30 14.32.09.jpg

Last edited:

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Probably $25-$40, I got a good deal on my G. porteri from a pet store for $15. Mature males of this species live about 18-36 months after they mature. In very rare instances they will be able to molt successfully again but most mature males die. Rose hair is a common name given to many different Tarantulas from Chile with the pink carapace. Yours is a Grammostola rosea my pictures are of a mature male Grammostola porteri very similar except for the deep red hairs on yours they look alike.

Chantico171

3 Year Member
Yeah i think that he has got them but not as big as your guy's LOL!!!

He is roughly about 1year 3months old. not sure if that helps.

But just my luck he has gone under his log. i think he has gone camera shy lmao!!!

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
He needs time to recover from the molt it takes alot out of them just make sure he has a full water dish and he is good to go.
If you decide to sell him let me know.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah i think that he has got them but not as big as your guy's LOL!!!

He is roughly about 1year 3months old. not sure if that helps.

But just my luck he has gone under his log. i think he has gone camera shy lmao!!!
Gorgeous spider :) unfortunately age tells us nothing, G. rosea are slow growers. I've had mine for about 6 months and he's grown about 1/2" - from 1/4" to 3/4" his last molt 2 days ago put him just over an inch DLS.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Wow, he is absolutely gorgeous!

Where did you get that he's that age? Is that what you were told when you bought him? He's almost definitely older than that but so beautiful! Definitely find someone who has a lady for him! I have a female but she's not ready to breed right now. It's been over 2 years since her last molt!

Latest posts