• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Latin/ Scientific Tarantula names.

Donk

3 Year Member
***DISCLAIMER***

I do have some knowledge of Tarantulas but I am by no means an expert and believe we can all learn from one another no matter our level of knowledge (book or direct keeping taught) due to the fact of the diversity of trantula keepers we all will at one point done things differently too how we do now or differently to how another keeper does simply because it works for us, and most importantly our trantula/s.

Now to the main point of this thread. (Some of this I know, other parts I have taken from articles I have read online and in mags/books)

I believe it is important to know the name of the animal you are keeping...Chile Rose may be fine in broad aspect and as a selling name, I however also am a great believer in knowing the SCIENTIFIC/LATIN names also, this is due to the fact one shop can call two entirely different trantulas as the same thing... Red Tarantula could be any manner of things....Ive seen Baboons named this and Red knees...(both common names) however entirely different tarantulas. Another example,

Common Names: Rosehair Tarantula, Rosehair, Rosie Tarantula, and Chilean Rose Tarantula.
Scientific Name: Grammostola rosea

Common Names: Goliath Bird-Eater, Goliath Bird-Eating Tarantula, Bird Eating Tarantula, Goliath Tarantula and the really big tarantula that can eat birds.
Scientific Name: Theraphosa blondi

So here we go........

Tarantulas belong to the Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum Arthropoda, Class Arachnida, Order Araneae and Family Theraphosidae. Five genera and 30 species of tarantulas have been documented in the United States, each with its own scientific name.

Tarantulas are arachnids belonging to the Family Theraphosidae. There are over 800 documented tarantula species, all of which feature hairy exteriors and large bodies. In the United States, tarantulas are most commonly found in dry, desert habitats. Tarantulas do not spin webs in order to catch food. Rather, they hunt for prey and reside in burrows stuffed full of found detritus.
Four subfamilies of tarantula species exist. The Selenocosmiinae are located primarily in Australia and East Asia, while the Poecilotheriinae tarantulas are native to Sri Lanka and tend to inhabit trees. The Selenogyrinae are common in India and Africa. Tarantulas found in North America belong to the subspecies Theraphosinae.

SCIENTIFIC/LATIN NAMES:

This is an example before adding too feedback would be appreciated (takes alot of work to do) Also unsure if I should enter common names as differing places will name Tarantulas differing things, however the latin should still apply across the board.

Brachypelma is a genus of the family Theraphosidae containing 21 tarantula species. I have included year of discovery,Name of discoverer and place of discovery. (please correct if any errors)

Latest posts