• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kormath's Ts

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son wanted to take the pics this time and measure the T's that would let him. :) It's been a while since i posted updates to my collection, so without further ado....

Marley, my son's GBB, he says is estimated at 3"+ but in the pic he took she (suspect female, will hopefully verify next molt) looks just shy of 3" to me.
IMG_1193.jpg

Next up is our new Pcam escape artist. My son took the lid off his enclosure yesterday when he got home from school to fill the water dish, turned around to get the syringe, and there was an empty enclosure. an hour later and a frantic phone call to me, he found the T sitting on his blanket on his bed. Blended in really well. So now the Pcam is back in his enclosure with another couple inches of substrate as he was trying to burrow in the inch or so he was in before but it didn't work well.

Pic shows about 1.5" but he's kinda stretched out, relaxed i'm thinking closer to 1.25"
IMG_1194.jpg

Next up... Percy the H. sp Columbia large Pumpkin Patch. just over an inch in this pic :)
IMG_1195.jpg

And here's Buddha. our monstrous 3/4" G. rosea :) One of my favorites, and probably the most frustrating of our Ts.
IMG_1199.jpg

And Raven, our A. versicolor, showing a bit more variation in her colors now after the last molt. She was a gorgeous bright blue prior.
IMG_1200.jpg

And last but not least, Astrid, my son's A. chalcodes. He didn't take a pic of us measuring her but she weighed in at a solid 4" relaxed dls. Also starting to brush her hairs off her abdomen and getting the dark patch, so a molt is coming soon :) For those that don't know we purchased her as a 3"+ female from KTBG. :)

IMG_1202.jpg

And that's all for now. This weekend we're hoping to measure and photograph the other Ts that will cooperate. My son needs base sizes to compare for his project.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice, I've only found out that you've got another GBB. I am thinking of having another one too. :T:
As mean as they are to prey and as calm and gentle as they are for us makes them my favorite.

Our B. boehmei is the same way. Attacks food a lot like the GBB and one of calmest Ts we have.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As mean as they are to prey and as calm and gentle as they are for us makes them my favorite.

Our B. boehmei is the same way. Attacks food a lot like the GBB and one of calmest Ts we have.
Maybe you should name your bohemei "Mark Walberg"... chill but packs a heavy punch. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got 1 of my 2 new Ts. Roj the B. sabulosum was doa. Here's a pic of the little guy to remember him by.
20160331_180158.jpg

And yes he's fricking tiny. I'm positive the ****ty packaging is what killed him.

But Thug, the B. albicepts (good name right? Stocky like a brawler and the name albiceps.)
3/4" and skittish, but who wouldn't be when they're packaged so poorly.
20160331_175655.jpg

The poor excuse for packaging
20160331_175517.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just read your review post, so dang sorry kormath. WTH is wrong with folks, no love for the creatures in their care at all.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm only out $17 for that tiny sling. As bad as the rest of the purchase was with communication and packaging I'm just going to eat it and find another T I like and order it. Have to wait on having all the red rumps lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I finally got to see the A. seemanni last night during feeding :) Wish i would have had my cell with me to take a pic.

His eating habits are right up there in sheer ferocity with the GBB. I had 2 lateralis in my catch cup, a mid size and a large, i went to sweep the mid sized out with a brush into Zeb's enclosure and the large one escaped the catch cup into the enclosure. This roach was almost double the body size of Zeb.

Before i could get him out, the roach had run down one of the tunnel openings. I got a surprise as Zeb was just under the surface there where he couldn't be seen. He chased that roach out of the tunnel, and around the enclosure. He never could catch it but he sure did give it a shot lol.

I finally took my tongs and tong fed the roach to Zeb. He yanked it out of the tongs so hard the roach lost 2 legs. Was nice to see him eating, and amazing to see him destroy a roach twice his size.

I'll have to see if there's anything left of it when i get home tonight. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have 19 T's now. Used to be 20 but my son sold his B. ablo to his good friend so his friend now has a "starter" T as they called it :)
I have no interest in true spiders, i'm still a bit scared of them to be honest, but not nearly as much as i was before :) Maybe in the future.

I have been looking at at the Amblypygi but i'm not ready to order one yet does that count as a true spider or a scorpion?
I sorta feel the same way regarding true spiders, but I wouldn't mind owning some hunstman or jumping spiders. Have you ever thought about branching out into other mygalomorphs? Trapdoor spiders? Pursewebs maybe? There's a couple other cool ones out there that I know I'm forgetting the names of as well.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I sorta feel the same way regarding true spiders, but I wouldn't mind owning some hunstman or jumping spiders. Have you ever thought about branching out into other mygalomorphs? Trapdoor spiders? Pursewebs maybe? There's a couple other cool ones out there that I know I'm forgetting the names of as well.
Yes actually. I'm looking at jumping spiders. Don't think i'll buy them as they have a short life span. I'll just catch the ones i can find in my house or yard. One of my co-workers said he's seen them on his deck, but we're having another cold spell move in, so maybe after that they'll be out and about.

I'd love a trap door spider, been drooling over the feeding videos and plan on ordering one in June or July. Most likely the African Black as that seems to be the most common one online.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So Zeb either hid the remains of the roach in a tunnel or he ate it all and hid the bolus.

Here's some really blurry pics of my new Ts, B. emilia, and B. sabulosum. I forgot i had to hold the shutter button in half way for the autofocus on my digital camera.:oops:

packaging was phenomenal as always from Paul at petcenter usa. He wrapped hte vials in newspaper and taped them so they're easy to find. i like that change.
DSCN0121.JPG

Newspaper was packed tight in the box, so the vials weren't floating around freely inside.

Vials were also adequately packed to protect the Ts.
DSCN0124.JPG

crappy blurry image, but you can see the thickness compared to the previous order i had the DOA in.

first T unpacked, the B. sabulosum, he was a bit sluggish crawling out of the vial, and moving around last night. He had dug his burrow this when i checked on him this morning but hadn't blocked it off yet, so i'm hoping that's a sign of premolt and not a sign that i shouldn't have a B. sabulosum.

Again sorry for the crappy blurry pics :(
DSCN0126.JPG

I didn't even try to get a pic of the tiny B. emilia after seeing how these turned out. I'll get some better ones and upload them tonight or soon.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes actually. I'm looking at jumping spiders. Don't think i'll buy them as they have a short life span. I'll just catch the ones i can find in my house or yard. One of my co-workers said he's seen them on his deck, but we're having another cold spell move in, so maybe after that they'll be out and about.

I'd love a trap door spider, been drooling over the feeding videos and plan on ordering one in June or July. Most likely the African Black as that seems to be the most common one online.
Hopefully you don't mind pet holes though. As awesome as watching them eat is, when you buy a trapdoor spider you are in a way just paying for a tank-full of dirt with a hole in the ground lol. I'm not put off by shy/reclusive species of tarantula or scorpions, but if you're looking for a good display animal that is out even fairly regularly, trapdoors are like the polar opposite of that lol. Just something to keep in mind :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully you don't mind pet holes though. As awesome as watching them eat is, when you buy a trapdoor spider you are in a way just paying for a tank-full of dirt with a hole in the ground lol. I'm not put off by shy/reclusive species of tarantula or scorpions, but if you're looking for a good display animal that is out even fairly regularly, trapdoors are like the polar opposite of that lol. Just something to keep in mind :)
Exactly. I've got my Brachys and others for display. The trap door I want just for feeding days lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We had a special event last night. My Pcam came out to let us see it after a few months of being hidden. He grew lots from the last molt! Even a sling these are awesome looking :D

All i could get is a butt pic, he went back into his hide just after this was taken.
Caesar.jpg

I'm guessing he's right around the 1.5" mark, give or take.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Filling water dishes and found my bulldozer Missingno (B. albo) has decided to put some color in his enclosure.
decor.jpg

Looks like he's spread about half the colored gravel from his water dish

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My newest edition. Popeye the P. Audax (I think I spelled that right) jumping spider. Finally got to see him jump at prey. Roach is as big as he is.
20160525_185331.jpg

Wasn't sure if he was hungry but when he jumped at the bolus I was removing and accidentally dropped I figured it was time to feed him ;)

Latest posts