• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a male or female? HELP!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They will become more visible as they get older... don't worry. As youngsters, they burrow all the time. Mine has completely buried herself and digs a nice tunnel to the surface when she wants me to fill her belly. She is also about 3".
My tiny 1/4" spiderling is nowhere to be seen. I worry about them, but I don't want to constantly dig them out either.
I am the same, had not seen my M. Balfouri for about 3 months so just had to dig it out and make sure all ok. It was, it was soooo pissed with me tho.....lol. I reckon due a molt too looking at size of abdomen so I feel a real idiot. We always advise not to do it, then we break our own rules. My bad ;)

3 Year Member
Ah. Then that answers the burrowing question. It will stop that as it gets older. Burrowing makes the little ones feel safe. Albopilosum young are known for it.
I have another question if you dont mind. I gave her a superworm but i guess she did not eat it becuase i think she is in her premolt stage again. So my question is, is it ok that the superworm is alive inside her enclosure? Because if it is harmful for her, i will dig up and search for the superworm

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I have another question if you dont mind. I gave her a superworm but i guess she did not eat it becuase i think she is in her premolt stage again. So my question is, is it ok that the superworm is alive inside her enclosure? Because if it is harmful for her, i will dig up and search for the superworm
It's not okay to leave the superworms in there - they can cause a lot of damage to a tarantula, especially if they are moulting. People usually cut their heads off before putting them in so that they are unable to burrow. It's not a fun thing to do, but necessary. Or you just have to stick to other prey.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some folks would tell you to dig it up. I leave them. They burrow, and if the t doesn't dig them up, they will pupate into a beetle and re emerge. Tarantulas usually wont eat the beetle, they don't like them. The beetle will certainly eat a molting spider though. I've heard rare stories of the worms eating them too, but never seen it. I let them pupate and emerge, then take them out. They blunder around the enclosure and are easy to spot, and that way your not excavating your spider's house.

3 Year Member
It's not okay to leave the superworms in there - they can cause a lot of damage to a tarantula, especially if they are moulting. People usually cut their heads off before putting them in so that they are unable to burrow. It's not a fun thing to do, but necessary. Or you just have to stick to other prey.
Some folks would tell you to dig it up. I leave them. They burrow, and if the t doesn't dig them up, they will pupate into a beetle and re emerge. Tarantulas usually wont eat the beetle, they don't like them. The beetle will certainly eat a molting spider though. I've heard rare stories of the worms eating them too, but never seen it. I let them pupate and emerge, then take them out. They blunder around the enclosure and are easy to spot, and that way your not excavating your spider's house.

Thanks guys. I'll search for it and dig it up later.

3 Year Member
Ok i will just wait for the superworm to become a beetle. Thank you