• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a female, based on a lack of epiandrous fusillae? (microscope images)

Underclock

3 Year Member
My P. metallica has thoroughly destroyed both molts she's (hopefully she) had with me.

I'm trying to identify her sex based on the identification of epiandrous fusillae, but the only website that goes into any detail on the subject looks like the pictures on it were taken in 2001.

I suspect female, but a bunch of second opinions would be great

The following link will take you to an imgur gallery of my little lady's booty:
http://imgur.com/a/ysddQ

The picture was taken when she was stretching out on a particularly clear part of her enclosure, but there's a little reflection on the plastic, the clearest shot is at the bottom of the gallery

Fleas

3 Year Member
I never owned a pokie so never tried to sex one but there is a lack of epiandrous fusillae.and the size of your p met would be nice to know:)

Fleas

3 Year Member
Am no p met experts but the male's should have visible sexual organs by then?o_O

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Underclock does this help? .
Granted mine was a lot larger 6" at least but 100% MM currently out on breeding duties.....lol. 2 pics of where you can see epiandrous fusillae and one with the emboli (boxing gloves). P. Metallica males doe not have tibial spurs Kiv. All pics were taken with spider facing down.
20160215_081913-1.jpg
20160214_220203.jpg
20160215_081907.jpg

Latest posts