• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a brick and mortar store that carries those round screen vents?

Underclock

3 Year Member
You know the ones, we've all seen them. The round 2 inch or so screen vents that make a custom enclosure look so much more professional. The kind that look like this.

Is this a standard HVAC or plumbing part I could walk over to my local hardware store and pick up? I've got a few enclosures I'd like to upgrade with these, and I don't want to have to put in an order online every time I need one or two, and it's also not the kind of thing I want to have to buy in bulk.

That's it, just a lead on where I can find these, and what specifically to ask for when I get there. Thanks for your consideration.

Edit, Follow up question:
Where does everybody order their screen vents from? The ones I linked were $1.09, but I'm sure there are better deals out there

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not that I've ever seen. I spent almost 2 years working in home Depot, they nor Lowes have them. I think you'll have to order them.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Check Walmart, they have that deal where they ship free to your closest store? The free pickup available thing? So it's online in a way but worth a look.
Most are louvered with screen but there's a large selection of sizes and colors.
Only place I know of to avoid the shipping charges.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice! that's a good idea, put 4 or 5 of those in. problem would be drilling the hole just under the size of the vent for full airflow, depending what enclosure you're using.

Underclock

3 Year Member

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those look pretty nice. Be great for sling containers. (I use peanut butter jars lol)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What do you mean?

As for drilling, the page lists the bottom diameter as 3/4 inch. I have the tools necessary, I could put those vents in the side of a glass aquarium if I was so inclined. (Video demonstrating how to do such a thing, for those interested *click here*)
I meant it depends on what your enclosure was made of on how easy it would be to drill. Acrylic is easier than glass, just need the proper bits. If it were me, i'd drill the holes just slightly smaller than the outer edge of those vents, so they're flat against the side on the inside. But then again for arboreals with those you could flush them to the outside and provide an anchor point with the end on the inside.

Underclock

3 Year Member
Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. And that was the basic plan, leave them as arboreal anchors, and for terrestrials I was gonna use some tin snips and flare the bottom part out so it sits more flush and helps hold it in

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. And that was the basic plan, leave them as arboreal anchors, and for terrestrials I was gonna use some tin snips and flare the bottom part out so it sits more flush and helps hold it in
Just don't forget to file the edges :p, I love the look of these. Going to see about getting some.

Latest posts