• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is She Being Cranky?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
She seemed fine enough and then this happened. Not sure if this is a full blown threat display because it has never happened to me. It doesn't really look like any of the images that I have seen of a threat display, but it might be just a half hearted one.
She immediately calmed down and started moving around slowly again. I had been keeping her off the side with the little brush and then brushed some of the substrate out of her dish just before she did this.

_DSC9933-2.jpg

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grammastola species are rather notorious for being moody. Even with many species that are reputed to be docile, it's not uncommon to have a defensive individual. A lot of Aphonopelma species range from skittish to defensive despite what the online caresheets will tell you.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She seemed fine enough and then this happened. Not sure if this is a full blown threat display because it has never happened to me. It doesn't really look like any of the images that I have seen of a threat display, but it might be just a half hearted one.
She immediately calmed down and started moving around slowly again. I had been keeping her off the side with the little brush and then brushed some of the substrate out of her dish just before she did this.

View attachment 15690
Not sure I'd call that a threat pose. More like a "do that again and I'm gonna get pissed" warning pose.

Grammastola species are rather notorious for being moody. Even with many species that are reputed to be docile, it's not uncommon to have a defensive individual. A lot of Aphonopelma species range from skittish to defensive despite what the online caresheets will tell you.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Agreed. My A. Chalcodes is not even close to being docile. I found out this weekend that when my son said he'd handled her he picked her up by the body, not let the psycho wench crawl on him.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
She immediately calmed down and looked like this. I didn't think it was a threat - more like get that red brush away from my water dish type thing. Just thought I would double check, though.

_DSC9921-2.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i dont think that was a threat pose. their fangs come up when then r ready to bite. she just mighta been checking u out. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now this is a threat pose.....taken from above just after filling the water dish next to her. Again like @Chubbs says, take care sheets with a pinch of salt. GBs should not do this. But mine did.....lol
SDC10227.JPG

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine acts like that too a lot phil. shes a bit *****y
My son's does that to me. But is perfectly calm around him.

My genic did his first act of aggression yesterday during watering. He was near the water dish so instead of squirting the water in I used a syringe. After 5 or 6 drops he reared up and struck the syringe. No pose no warning lol. I heard and felt his fangs hit the side. He's becoming a genic lol

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
My GBB has also given threat poses.

My G.Porteri does what your grammastola is doing whenever I fill the water dish...she goes nuts. It's not aggressive I think as much as "WOAH WHAT ARE YOU DOING".

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My GBB has also given threat poses.

My G.Porteri does what your grammastola is doing whenever I fill the water dish...she goes nuts. It's not aggressive I think as much as "WOAH WHAT ARE YOU DOING".
This was a full on rear back and attack the syringe, just no threat pose first, or it was so fast i didn't see the pose. He was sitting by the dish when i was filling it and I was lucky i had the syringe angled in with my fingers well above him, he hit the lower section just before where a needle would screw in, but this a baby's medicine syringe so it's just a plastic tip.

Didn't leave a mark on it but as hard as he hit it and the sound of his fangs hitting the plastic it was sure there'd be some kinda mark. Luckily it didn't look like it hurt his fangs either, they looked normal after and he's eaten since then without issue. Now my son leaves doing his cage maintenance to me, and thankfully this is one he's taken off his list to handle :D I think he jumped more than the genic when it struck the syringe.

Latest posts