• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my spider dying?

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
IMHO...if the people at the petstore are not keepings T's at home .... they know nothing...what most will tell you is only a guess or something they hear from others...anyway best of luck hope she pulls through...keep us posted and don't put her back on that sub ..
She's starting to look a bit better and i won't be asking the shop for their advice again! Off to get some coir tomorrow :)

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Crom your description and photos she looks to be severely dehydrated. Did she have water in the pet store, do you provide a water dish?
If water has always been available then the next prognosis would be poisoning. Pesticides, flea/tick treatments. Think about any and everything you have done prior to interacting with your G. rosea.
In either case an ICU is needed immediately.
Try this link for a how to
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/icu10.html
Just saw this post now! No i've not used any pesticides, and as my cats are house cats they don't go out, due to hit & run drivers :-(, so they don't get flea treatment. I also wash and rinse my hands thoroughly before i put my hands in her tank. The only harmful thing she's been near was the pine substrate she was on in the shop i got her from. I'm really puzzled about the water as she has a dish which she used to go in a lot but then stopped going in completely but thankfully she is showing signs of improvement in the icu :)

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nope. No gel, no sponges, just a water dish filled with fresh water (be it tap or bottled) is all you will ever need. If you really want to accessorise then get a nice pebble and drop it in the water dish so crickets wont drown in it.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Nope. No gel, no sponges, just a water dish filled with fresh water (be it tap or bottled) is all you will ever need. If you really want to accessorise then get a nice pebble and drop it in the water dish so crickets wont drown in it.
Thanks, i had never seen that stuff before, wondered if anybody used it! Won't be buying it now :)

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Itsy did get a lot better but i'm afraid i found her dead this morning :-( She never did move much and i wonder if something wasn't right when i got her. I went back to the shop today and they very kindly gave me a new one, without charge! I've called her Fatty and she has helped to cheer me up, she's a lively one!

Latest posts