• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my spider dying?

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
I got my Chile Rose, Itsy Bitsy on Xmas eve. I have always thought she was a bit lethargic but the shop i bought her from reassured me she was ok but i'm getting really worried about her now. She never sits all spread out like i've seen in other peoples photos, she's getting more curled up every day. She did move around a little yesterday but once had trouble standind up and she stumbled then sat with her legs curled underneath her. I gently tapped her back legs this morning but didn't get much response :-( I've attached a couple of photos to see what anybody thinks

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 454
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,585

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I couldn't tell properly from your pics as I'm using my phone and the screen is smashed to bits. Legs curling under doesn't sound good tbh. Is she warm enough ? Maybe she is old, pet shops are not always honest or especially knowledgeable when it comes to ts. I hope she is ok.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Apparently she isn't fully grown yet and she is quite small, and the shop said she was due to moult which would explain her lack of interest in food but i just don't like the look of her. I touched her back legs earlier and she didn't get up, just moved her legs around a bit then settled down again. She's in my living room so should be warm enough but it is a little cooler at night when the heating goes off so i wondered if i should put a heat pad in and keep it at a low setting? I've been researching online and some websites said use a heat pad and others say don't for the Chile Rose. I am so fed up now, she was a gift from my husband for Xmas :-(

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She may be a bit uncomfortable if she is in pre moult, my ramases was like that before he moulted. Try increasing the humidity is what vet normally tells me .

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as the spider is at room temperature then I wouldn't worry about that side of it. In the wild they will put up with a lot lower temps just fine. The fact that the legs are curled under it means there is definitely something up. I would suggest moving it into a tub with just damp paper towel and a shallow water bowl. Put the spiders mouth in the water and if it is just dehydrated then it should come around pretty quickly. If it is something else then all you can do is leave it be in the ICU and hope for the best.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
Ok, thanks, i'll try that! She's very thin too, hopefully she'll moult soon and get better, really hoping i don't lose her :-/

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
As long as the spider is at room temperature then I wouldn't worry about that side of it. In the wild they will put up with a lot lower temps just fine. The fact that the legs are curled under it means there is definitely something up. I would suggest moving it into a tub with just damp paper towel and a shallow water bowl. Put the spiders mouth in the water and if it is just dehydrated then it should come around pretty quickly. If it is something else then all you can do is leave it be in the ICU and hope for the best.
Now you mention water, she used to go in to her water dish a lot but has stopped doing that too!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Crom your description and photos she looks to be severely dehydrated. Did she have water in the pet store, do you provide a water dish?
If water has always been available then the next prognosis would be poisoning. Pesticides, flea/tick treatments. Think about any and everything you have done prior to interacting with your G. rosea.
In either case an ICU is needed immediately.
Try this link for a how to
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/icu10.html

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
I hate to say it very well could be dying or just thirsty. One of my Rose Hairs dyed and it was doing the same thing. :(
I am so sorry. :(
She is showing signs of dehydration so we have her in a little damp "hospital" with a tiny dish of water! I just can't understand why she stopped going in her water dish? I wonger if i should change her substrate, could vermicullite be too dry for her?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Straight vermiculite will act as a desicant. Vermiculite should be mixed with a substrate, if used at all. Yes you need to change that out. Coco coir is the most common choice.

Tguy

3 Year Member
i think it could be the substrate ...did you have her on it since you got her and a pic from above the T would help... and it could be a mature male ?can you get a pic of the 2 front legs from a side view

Pawandinverts

3 Year Member
She is showing signs of dehydration so we have her in a little damp "hospital" with a tiny dish of water! I just can't understand why she stopped going in her water dish? I wonger if i should change her substrate, could vermicullite be too dry for her?
At least she is not dying.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
i think it could be the substrate ...did you have her on it since you got her and a pic from above the T would help... and it could be a mature male ?can you get a pic of the 2 front legs from a side view
There are a couple of pics of her on my first post, i can't take any now as she is in a damp tub. The shop sais it's definately female. When i got her she was on stuff like sawdust and i changed it but i'll get something else tomorrow!

Tguy

3 Year Member
IMHO...if the people at the petstore are not keepings T's at home .... they know nothing...what most will tell you is only a guess or something they hear from others...anyway best of luck hope she pulls through...keep us posted and don't put her back on that sub ..

Latest posts