• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it actually a versicolor?

Chris Tyler

3 Year Member
So i recently got my first T and the place i got it from marked it as a avicularia versicolor so i bought thinking it would be a great beginner T, but I've seen some videos on them and mine looks nothing like versicolors. Most of them look blueish or pink but mine is just brown.can it actually be a versicolor or does it have to be something else?

Chris Tyler

3 Year Member
WP_20160508_006.jpg
WP_20160508_004.jpg
Here He/She is.(sorry for the messy background had to set the cage on the floor for a better look

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The A. avicularia are awesome. They aren't available (at a reasonable price) where I live, so I have had to order the versicolor, but I would have ordered this one instead.
They're lovely and I think you got a good deal for that size. The same spider, same size, being sold by individuals around me are going for about $120cdn.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The A. avicularia are awesome. They aren't available (at a reasonable price) where I live, so I have had to order the versicolor, but I would have ordered this one instead.
They're lovely and I think you got a good deal for that size. The same spider, same size, being sold by individuals around me are going for about $120cdn.
Wow...my second A.avic was a LPS rescue I gave $20 for her, love all the avics.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I got my A Avicularia sub AD F, and Juve Versicolor together for £35 / $50.42 us /$65.52 cdn.
Look at you doing the exchange for me and everything! Thank you.
To give you an idea - I am paying $50cdn for 2 @ 1/2" versicolor. I think that there is a young, adult female, being offered online right now and they are asking $180 for her - no enclosure.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Sounds way too Expensive.:eek:
They are in very short supply as spiderlings and almost none as juves/adults. I wonder if that is because far too many die because of the dry/heat over the winter and they never reach adulthood?
For every 1 avic you see being sold online as a juvenile/adult - you probably see 20 terrestrials and less sensitive species.
Plus, private sales always run the risk of someone trying to take advantage and fleece the hell out of you.

Chris Tyler

3 Year Member
damn

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
versicolor slings i'm seeing online now for $25 @ 1/2-3/4" unsexed A. avic 3"+ for $35, nothing on the sites i know of for sexed females or males for any avics. Looks like you paid about the going price for an A. avicularia.

Maybe doesn't just show it in your photo but i'd suggest a lot more branches and leaves and stuff so it can anchor it's webs around. Never raised an A. avic myself but my versicolor and sp. Peru purple love to web and build tunnels through the leaves.

Chris Tyler

3 Year Member
versicolor slings i'm seeing online now for $25 @ 1/2-3/4" unsexed A. avic 3"+ for $35, nothing on the sites i know of for sexed females or males for any avics. Looks like you paid about the going price for an A. avicularia.

Maybe doesn't just show it in your photo but i'd suggest a lot more branches and leaves and stuff so it can anchor it's webs around. Never raised an A. avic myself but my versicolor and sp. Peru purple love to web and build tunnels through the leaves.
Thanks for the feedback

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Love my two. One webs like mad, looks like a giant spiral water slide in her enclosure, the other webs a tiny bit only when she eats. Totally different T's but both calm curious and adorable.

Latest posts