• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is coco fiber good as substrate?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
debatable

I disagree. It's a clean natural sub with no chance of having oily woods like cedar and pine(peat can), It's mould resistant and holds humidity. The only drawback is that it doesn't make the most solid burrowsm but adding a little sand or vermiculite helps greatly with that.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
I disagree. It's a clean natural sub with no chance of having oily woods like cedar and pine(peat can), It's mould resistant and holds humidity. The only drawback is that it doesn't make the most solid burrowsm but adding a little sand or vermiculite helps greatly with that.

most of what you said could be said with some other substrates aswell. every substrate has its pros and cons. you cannot call one single substrate "the best".

I use alot of different substrates, including this one. I like it alot but if i get it wet it'll make the enclosures rain for a month. I like BMW's better than Audi. That does not mean that BMW's are better.

The never ending substrate debate is something i'm not interested in participating in, though :p

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, I'm not debating you, I respect your opinion. I'm just supporting my opinion for the interest of the thread. For my $ Coco is the top of the heap.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
Oh, I'm not debating you, I respect your opinion. I'm just supporting my opinion for the interest of the thread. For my $ Coco is the top of the heap.

I never said you were, i just didn't want it to turn into one. I understand that it was in the interest of the thread

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
their is pro and cons to it when comparing it to peat. the real pro to it, for most, is its resistance to mold and other growths that you can come across with peat. this makes its nice for spot cleaning and allows you to hold off on substrate changes for long periods. the main thing as to why I usually go for peat over eco earth is one its more expansive then peat. not extremely expensive (however I have alot of burrowers so it adds up for me). the other con for me is it dries quicker than peat does, which is not a huge deal, but since alot for my T's are humid species its beneficial for me to use peat in this regard as well

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
ones with no chemicals and fertilizers. i used potting soil when i got my first T but i changed to coco peat. because the soil dries out so easily, it's heavy, and it doesn't look good. it looks dirty and ugly. :p for me at least.