• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Invertebrate terror

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I work at a hospital. Its med sized, so most of us know each other. Apparently I've become the local spider/scorpion/ scary bug remover. Last night I was called to the ER to remove a large wolf spider with babies on her back. So I picked it up as slowly and gently as possible, and it actually stayed still in my hand, probably because its rather cool in the hospital. At this point, nurses started moving slowly forward to look at her. Since she obviously hadnt eaten me they calmed down, and I showed them the babies on her back, and answered all their questions about spiders. One of the nurses looked pale and frightened, so I talked to her about arachnids a little bit. She seemed much more at ease, seeing me hold the dangerous beast, and before I left she was asking me about what tarantulas I kept, breeding, feeding, all that. So we talked about it, and she came with me to the boiler room and watched me release her in a warm room with leaky pipes. Then I showed her some other spiders I had found or relocated there, including a brown and two black widows, and two crab spiders i couldnt ID. By the time I was finished, she was talking about getting a tarantula:) Also I got her number and some flirting:D Anyway, the moral here is this: Getting frustrated and angry when people show mindless fear and ignorance does no good at all, although it might feel good to make a guy look like a ***** for being afraid of spiders, it accomplishes nothing. Hold your temper, and scorn, and educate people. At 43 years old I feel like I'm finally gaining some wisdom:) To be honest though, when I see a male react in fear to a spider, I want to shake him and slap him. It's ridiculous, but hell, im terrified of sharks. But sharks DO eat people..spiders dont..rational thought plays a role in that conundrum....

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
back in my college days, the first round of college anyway, i had a roomate that was arachnaphobic extreme. We were playing raquet ball once and he ran to the end to pop the ball off the wall, since i was back at hte serving stripes. instead he screamed and ran and by the time i looked behind me he was struggling to get hte door open. When that failed he plastered himself to wall and started to hyperventilate. after we got him calmed down and figured out a spider almost gave him a heart attack i went to see the beast. It was a jumping spider sling, tiny little grey jumper :)

we remind him about that when he starts being a real arsehat, you need something to put people in their place lol.

Awesome you were able to save the nurses and patients from that monster ;) and to get them interested a bit is a win.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
;);)
I work at a hospital. Its med sized, so most of us know each other. Apparently I've become the local spider/scorpion/ scary bug remover. Last night I was called to the ER to remove a large wolf spider with babies on her back. So I picked it up as slowly and gently as possible, and it actually stayed still in my hand, probably because its rather cool in the hospital. At this point, nurses started moving slowly forward to look at her. Since she obviously hadnt eaten me they calmed down, and I showed them the babies on her back, and answered all their questions about spiders. One of the nurses looked pale and frightened, so I talked to her about arachnids a little bit. She seemed much more at ease, seeing me hold the dangerous beast, and before I left she was asking me about what tarantulas I kept, breeding, feeding, all that. So we talked about it, and she came with me to the boiler room and watched me release her in a warm room with leaky pipes. Then I showed her some other spiders I had found or relocated there, including a brown and two black widows, and two crab spiders i couldnt ID. By the time I was finished, she was talking about getting a tarantula:) Also I got her number and some flirting:D Anyway, the moral here is this: Getting frustrated and angry when people show mindless fear and ignorance does no good at all, although it might feel good to make a guy look like a ***** for being afraid of spiders, it accomplishes nothing. Hold your temper, and scorn, and educate people. At 43 years old I feel like I'm finally gaining some wisdom:) To be honest though, when I see a male react in fear to a spider, I want to shake him and slap him. It's ridiculous, but hell, im terrified of sharks. But sharks DO eat people..spiders dont..rational thought plays a role in that conundrum....
Lucky for you there's no sharks in Tx;) well unless you live in the south east part of it by the ocean. My fear is humans. But like my animals i tolerate humans:cool:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I fish on the coast at every opportunity;) just no more wade fishing. I don't hate sharks, im just not comfortable in their environment. I had what i believe was a bull shark rip my bait bucket right off the stringer tied to my beltloop. My gf said by the time i got back to shore I was pale as a ghost. People up on the pier saw it happen. Nobody was laughing. Boats are good.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats pretty crazy that the shark did that. But on the brightside atlest it took the bait off you and not a piece of you. Acording to wiki they tend to be the cause of most off water attacks and are aggressive. Also interesting they can survive in freshwater and salt water.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah they have swam up the Mississippi river as far as Illinois. Very agressive feeders that prefer to hunt in water from 2' to 50' . Coastal predators. After the Engleside incident I bought a kayak and fished for Red Drum and speckled trout in Copano Bay at night. You can find schools feeding around the lights on private docks. One morning around 2 am a pod of dolphins quietly surrounded the school of trout I was fishing. It was quiet and peaceful and totally zen as I caught and released them. I was having a great time until a dolphin slapped his tail about 5 feet from my kayak. (Its how they herd fish to prey on). I'm very proud of the fact that when i jumped two feet in the air i actually landed back on top of the kayak. My brother was twenty feet away on his kayak and couldn't speak from laughing so hard. Its a huge joke among family and friends now...:mad:

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah they have swam up the Mississippi river as far as Illinois. Very agressive feeders that prefer to hunt in water from 2' to 50' . Coastal predators. After the Engleside incident I bought a kayak and fished for Red Drum and speckled trout in Copano Bay at night. You can find schools feeding around the lights on private docks. One morning around 2 am a pod of dolphins quietly surrounded the school of trout I was fishing. It was quiet and peaceful and totally zen as I caught and released them. I was having a great time until a dolphin slapped his tail about 5 feet from my kayak. (Its how they herd fish to prey on). I'm very proud of the fact that when i jumped two feet in the air i actually landed back on top of the kayak. My brother was twenty feet away on his kayak and couldn't speak from laughing so hard. Its a huge joke among family and friends now...:mad:
Thats pretty cool you got to see dolphins tho.

Latest posts