• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incredible appetite?

Adam Boudreau

3 Year Member
Okay so my Brachypelma albopilosum has a furosious appetite and I'm scratching my head as to why..? Is she preparing to molt although I was expecting the opposite behavior as has happened in the past. She's a juvinile and I've had her ever since a little sling so I know the eating habits and she comes out of her hide when she's hungry waiting for food, so I fed her starting with a wee little cricket, gobbled it up and in an hour saw her back out so I was like hmm mustve been too small I'll fill that tummy of hers up with a juicy wax worm, gobbled it down, about 75% of the way through the wax worm i see her again? So now I'm like something's weird so for giggles thinking there's no way shell eat anything else I throw in a small to medium sized meal worm, not even done with the wax worm she bites into both and as I speak she's eating them simotaniously. She's been fed twice a week ever since a sling and now once a week as she's gotten bigger, her bum is not too skinny either. Any idea whats going on?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feed my B. albo juvis 2-3 medium/large crickets every 7-10 days so maybe you need to give her larger prey.

Checkmate

Formerly 'voldemort'
3 Year Member
I received my B. hamorii/smithi last Fall and she was always hungry so I kept feeding her...then she went on a ~4 month fast (during winter and early spring). Then she started eating normally again so I just keep her on a schedule now and go off of how thin/plump she looks. As long as she's healthy looking and not thin, she'll be fine.

Latest posts