• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In a hole

Ineesha

3 Year Member
Hi, brand new to tarantula care. My curly hair seems to have dug a hole under the half log and has stayed in there for a couple of days. I really can't see it, but I have noticed the entrance has changed. I don't know if it is getting ready to molt or if it is just being who it is. My main concern is should I feed it one of the crickets?
I read I should not feed it if it is molting, but I can't see into the hole to tell what it is doing.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
B. albopilosums do tend to burrow especially as slings but they do grow out of it as they grow. If you can't see it, I feed it but if it doesn't eat remove the food next day. They are great tarantulas to begin the hobby with.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feel free to offer food when you wish, it's the best way to get an idea of their appetite and feeding habits. If the spider needs to molt it will most likely close up the burrow, they usually don't molt in the open til they're bigger. If you do suspect pre molt, and the tarantula keeps refusing prey, it's safe to quit offering for awhile. If it's a young spider it will go into premolt and molt quickly, usually. Adults can be in pre molt and refuse food for months before they molt. As long as they have a dish with fresh water they can go months without eating, with no ill effects. And since it's a curly, always have a hairbrush on hand for tangles :p

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Don't try to dig your little B. albo out or try to get the prey inside the burrow. If they're moulting - that could mean disaster. Just place the food on the surface outside the burrow and see if it has been eaten by the following day. If it hasn't - remove it.
They will find it and eat it if they are hungry and want food... believe me. These guys will usually never refuse food unless they are getting ready to moult. They're bottomless pits for food.
If they want it - they will find it with no problem.

They are an excellent species to start off with. Hardy, normally slow moving, forgiving, little ones. I adore mine. Plus, they never refuse a meal... mine eat everything that nobody else wants. Nothing goes to waste. You can always count on them.

Latest posts