• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ideal Enclosures?

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Hey guys.
I'm asking this question because my friend who's raising my T's until I move to the states.

But he's adamant about using jamies inclosures or ones like that.
To put it simply, I have the money for some tarantulas but not their enclosures.

I see a lot of well known breeders and YouTube personalities who have them in Rubbermaid homes and makeshift enclosures. When I pointed this out he argued he has cats.

I too have a cat and he's never done anything with my tarantulas.

He and I are not wealthy people, so I find it very silly he says if he's going to have a tarantula it's the best enclosure or nothing.
Perhaps I am wrong, but if it has enough air, and emulates their native home I fail to see why a Tupperware isn't good.

I'm not trying to make fun of my friend, I just think his obsession with a $80-140 enclosure is absurd.

Any advice is most welcome.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Many Tupperware type containers have clip on lids which make them pretty much cat proof and you're right the T won't mind what container it's in as long as it has all it needs to thrive.

Thistles

3 Year Member
When I had a smaller collection (under 50 or so) I made really elaborate enclosures, often planted, and had neat shelves with lighting and everything. I came from the dart frog and aquarium hobbies where the enclosure was almost more important than the inhabitant. I also had 4 cats at the time. I understand what he's saying and I think a lot of newer keepers can relate.

That said, most of my animals are now in deli cups or something like that. Tupperware are fine, and in many cases they're actually better. Part of the appeal of this hobby is how collectible tarantulas are. For $10-100 you can acquire and set up a new animal responsibly. You can't do that for most "pets." I have 3 cats and have never had a cat/spider encounter. I did have a snake climb the shelves in my baby closet and knock some stuff around, but there were no escapes or fatalities even with falling deli cups. The cats find crickets fascinating and delicious, roaches moderately intriguing, and haven't even noticed the tarantulas.

Jamie is a fine dealer and one of the first I ever worked with, but her prices are crazy and her enclosures, though attractive, can either be made on your own much cheaper or are way more than you need just to keep an animal alive.

Where does your friend live and how large is your LP?

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
When I had a smaller collection (under 50 or so) I made really elaborate enclosures, often planted, and had neat shelves with lighting and everything. I came from the dart frog and aquarium hobbies where the enclosure was almost more important than the inhabitant. I also had 4 cats at the time. I understand what he's saying and I think a lot of newer keepers can relate.

That said, most of my animals are now in deli cups or something like that. Tupperware are fine, and in many cases they're actually better. Part of the appeal of this hobby is how collectible tarantulas are. For $10-100 you can acquire and set up a new animal responsibly. You can't do that for most "pets." I have 3 cats and have never had a cat/spider encounter. I did have a snake climb the shelves in my baby closet and knock some stuff around, but there were no escapes or fatalities even with falling deli cups. The cats find crickets fascinating and delicious, roaches moderately intriguing, and haven't even noticed the tarantulas.

Jamie is a fine dealer and one of the first I ever worked with, but her prices are crazy and her enclosures, though attractive, can either be made on your own much cheaper or are way more than you need just to keep an animal alive.

Where does your friend live and how large is your LP?

If I have to deal with a website I will always deal with Jamie, but her enclosures are way out of my price range these days.

He lives in Phoenix, and she's a 3i or maybe 4i. She's tiny.
Her name is Ganymede, because she'll grow up big and strong :)

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Oh yeah, put that kid in a deli cup. Easy peasy.
He has her in her little vile. But he insists on having them in nice enclosures. And pretty much refuses kritter keeper.

He says he's doing me a favor, by raising them. And indeed, he is. But I've gotten and offered to get him T's too.

I'm just frustrated at his anal beliefs on enclosures.
I love the guy but he's stubborn as a mule.

Thistles

3 Year Member
If he wants a nice enclosure, he can buy a nice enclosure.

Don't get her something too big at this point, though. A large acrylic enclosure would make it difficult to care for her,

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
If he wants a nice enclosure, he can buy a nice enclosure.

Don't get her something too big at this point, though. A large acrylic enclosure would make it difficult to care for her,
The enclosure that came with her, the juvie, is too big for her at this time.

But I hear they grow very fast.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jamie's uses similar enclosures as from the container store, then they cut/drill them and add vents. I've used these for all of our slings and juvies. Just need to drill your own air vent holes, which is fairly simple. I use drill bits about half the width of the carapace of the T it's housing to prevent escapes.

For the tall lids like Jamie uses - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-amac-boxes/d?productId=10003497&q=amac boxes

I prefer the flat lids for my terrestrials - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594&q=amac boxes

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Jamie's uses similar enclosures as from the container store, then they cut/drill them and add vents. I've used these for all of our slings and juvies. Just need to drill your own air vent holes, which is fairly simple. I use drill bits about half the width of the carapace of the T it's housing to prevent escapes.

For the tall lids like Jamie uses - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-amac-boxes/d?productId=10003497&q=amac boxes

I prefer the flat lids for my terrestrials - https://www.containerstore.com/s/clear-flush-lid-amac-boxes/d?productId=10028594&q=amac boxes
Thank you so much for sharing this!

Rivmage

3 Year Member

Any tips on drilling the air vents to prevent cracking or splitting of the plastic?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I do like Jamies site and "some" of her T prices but I've heard a few bad reviews recently that has me on the fence about dealing with her.. but to be fair lllreptile is still my one stop shop for all my needs.. sure some prices might be high but out of all my orders and I've dealt with them for years I still haven't had even a single thing to complain about

Thistles

3 Year Member
I do like Jamies site and "some" of her T prices but I've heard a few bad reviews recently that has me on the fence about dealing with her.. but to be fair lllreptile is still my one stop shop for all my needs.. sure some prices might be high but out of all my orders and I've dealt with them for years I still haven't had even a single thing to complain about
I've done a few trades with her, but I won't be back. She ships exclusively through USPS, which is illegal and puts her customers at risk. The prices are much too high for me.

Go with my friend Steve at arachnoiden.com for any livestock. LLL Reptile is okay for supplies, but I use a variety of other sources personally.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I've done a few trades with her, but I won't be back. She ships exclusively through USPS, which is illegal and puts her customers at risk. The prices are much too high for me.

Go with my friend Steve at arachnoiden.com for any livestock. LLL Reptile is okay for supplies, but I use a variety of other sources personally.
I mainly buy supplies from lllreptile as well but most recently I bought a p regalis and p fascista and I must say the slings were packed very well and very active/healthy I honestly had nothing I could complain about.. my next order gets $25 off thanks to the rewards points so I love that as well lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any tips on drilling the air vents to prevent cracking or splitting of the plastic?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
sharp drill bits are key. Don't use ones specifically designed for woodwork. I get the black oxide bits from DeWalt and they work well. Start drilling slow till you get the feel of it, put something on the other side of the plastic so the pressure from drilling doesn't cause the crack. Really you don't need much pressure at all, let the tools do the work ;)

I have a 1.75x1.75.x1" block of wood i use for the 2 inch amac boxes. And a 3x3x2" block for the 4 inch boxes. Put that inside, hold it firm against the inside wall and start drilling. Buy an extra box or 2 for practice :)

Latest posts