• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID this roach please..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160602_00_29_21_Pro.jpg
I found this on the wall of the hospital, I believe its a giant peppered roach? Didn't know they were established here...
Also, what is this one?
WP_20160602_00_29_30_Pro.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Hisserdude and Entity..after looking at pics of them, I still can't tell..theres no wild peppered roaches in Texas is there? And it looks different. Like the little one looks like a lat, but different..is it possible the big one is a freshly molted Americana? No way right?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Oh oh oh the top one is a Arenivaga male, possibly A.bolliana. A very nice find, and a species I've been wanting for a while, (and should be getting within a few months)! Peppered roaches are way, way bigger, and there are none in NA. :)
Arenivaga should be kept bone dry, but make sure there is a moist spot in the substrate always available. They are burrowers and should have substrate a few inches deep. A layer of dead leaves is a must for any Corydiids, and Arenivaga are no exception.

The bottom one is a Ischnoptera bilunata, a small, easily cultured species.
These like to be kept moist, and like a rich substrate according to roachcrossing, i.e. a mix of coconut fiber, dead leaves, rotten wood, maybe some moss as well.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Excellent! Tyvm sir, you da roach masta! I wonder what my chances are of finding a female...this one was on the wall..I'll look some more tonight, these caught my interest.

No problem, happy to help! :D
You won't find a female Arenivaga by looking at the wall, that's for sure, they are wingless and spend most of their life underground, you'll need to dig around in leaf litter, dig around plants roots or set up pitfall traps in a suitable habitat to find any.
Here is a picture of a female: (not my pic)
JZSRFZIRQH2RSH6RKH2RLHKRTZJLNLYLJZPRQHIZLH0ZOLPRLHIZTL7Z9L7RSH5RKHQZKH5RCLHZELYL.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No problem, happy to help! :D
You won't find a female Arenivaga by looking at the wall, that's for sure, they are wingless and spend most of their life underground, you'll need to dig around in leaf litter, dig around plants roots or set up pitfall traps in a suitable habitat to find any.
Here is a picture of a female: (not my pic)
JZSRFZIRQH2RSH6RKH2RLHKRTZJLNLYLJZPRQHIZLH0ZOLPRLHIZTL7Z9L7RSH5RKHQZKH5RCLHZELYL.jpg
DOH! I've seen them..damnit.damnit. I should have grabbed one..I know where to get one though :) It just rained hard last night, they should be active if its dry this evening..in the mean time, I put the male in with my dubia. He seems ok, I'm watching him, he's easy to pick out. I moistened a corner for him and gave him carrots and leaves.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
DOH! I've seen them..damnit.damnit. I should have grabbed one..I know where to get one though :) It just rained hard last night, they should be active if its dry this evening..in the mean time, I put the male in with my dubia. He seems ok, I'm watching him, he's easy to pick out. I moistened a corner for him and gave him carrots and leaves.

Cool, hope you can find some females! Also FYI, like most other Corydiids these have a long development period, nymphs can take a couple of years to mature. The females usually live a few years as adults, and males last half as long.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also found a male lateralis, added him to my colony :) There were americana everywhere. And caught another C vittatus. Its storming again, no hunting tonight..im going to find a female though, count on it :D leafy burrowers..theres a treeline right behind the hospital. Lunchtime project. I'm finding some neat critters just walking the outside of the complex.

WP_20160602_01_04_02_Pro.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Blattella sp nymph, not germanica though. Looks like one of the non-pest species, pretty sure yours are B.asahinai.
Know where I got them? A drain pipe in the dishwashing area of a cafeteria. I've captured about 6 now. Fast, climbers, but the females are pretty...thats a female right? And you're right, this isn't an infestation, they found a water source, heat, and a dishwasher to scavenge bits of food, but theres not many of them, it took an hour to find six..thanks for the ID gonna look them up :) Is it me or does the first one I showed you look more like a genitalis than a bolleana?