• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID this please?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can anyone tell me what this is?
WP_20160513_21_34_19_Pro.jpg

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
You lucky bast*rd!! :D That's a male Greater Arid-land Katydid, Neobarrettia spinosa. They are the coolest katydids around, and make great pets! They are voracious predators, and will eat any insect they can get their legs on. You should definitely keep it, and you should try to find a female to mate with him. ;)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, I didn't capture him :( I read a thread somewhere with people talking about being bitten by Katydids, apparently they have a nasty bite, which is awesome. I'll look for some more though :) Thanks for the ID dude!

Oh well, at least you'll know what it is next time you see one! :) Yeah they have really strong mandibles, definitely don't want to get bit! Glad I could help!

View attachment 16560
Also, I found this on my shower curtain:
View attachment 16559

Yup, looks like a male Periplaneta americana to me. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm going to let it go outside. They wander in occasionally but never infest. Quick lil guy..he actually crawled over the top of my shower curtain today while I was in it..lol. Must have been thirsty..I have friends that swear these roaches bite. For some reason it seems doubtful, roaches have good self preservation instincts, in my experience. I mean unless you squeeze one or something, it shouldn't try to bite you..but then there's people on Roach forum saying they got bitten too, by certain species. Ok I'm babbling again..:D

Latest posts