• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I want a pet and need advice

Pamala Darsow

3 Year Member
I am thinking about getting a Rosy Hair , I live alone in a apartment . Thing is the fire alarm goes off in this building about once a week and is very loud . I do not plan on handling it much but I am worried about getting a pet that might be affected by this loud noise . Other than the alarm it is very quiet here .

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula's don't "hear", they're covered in hairs that sense vibrations. The alarm may startle it from the sudden sound vibrations, but it won't hurt their ears (they don't have 'ears') like it may a dog or other animals. I don't think it'll be bad for a T.

For a starter T i'd suggest one of the Brachypelma (cause i love that genus) like the smithi (Mexican Orange Knee), or boehmei (Mexican Fire leg), or the Ablopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair).

If you want a beautifully colored tarantula the Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens) is a great beginner T. They have an amazing appetite, web like crazy if you get them some fake plants, and the greens, blues, and orange on their body is absolutely beautiful.

The Rose Hair is a good starter, typically docile, but they frustrate new owners with their random fasting sessions. All of these are raised in the same envioronment, dry substrate, water dish and a hide, and some plants for the GBB to web on.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Brachypelma smithi is a good starter Tarantula. So are Curly hairs. Lots of amazing beginner Ts out their. Rose hairs are good since they arent very expensive around 20 dollars for a nice sized female specimen were as a nice sized female Smithis I have seen $150+. On the other hand slings(Baby Ts) are really cool the have, though they are more difficult as a beginner but are cheap. Seen some roseas for under 10 dollars. there just really fragile and are escape artists( mine got out twice) but an awesome experience watching them grow.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
definitely Grammostola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) or Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe). just because these tarantulas are the first i own. even though these five G. pulchripes are only slings right now. i started having the tarantulas little over a month, i have six different kind of tarantulas, mostly are slings right now.

overall, you can't go wrong with Brachypelma, Grammostola, and some Avicularia if you can give proper ventilation enclosure. that's what most tarantula hobbyists telling me to start with these tarantulas.

bookac

3 Year Member
I am recomending you a Brachypelma Albopilosum, i have one , and i can say that they are perfect for a begginer T. They move so slow, even when you poke them with paint brush, they are slow and look like they dont give a f**k . ( but also depends on the T )

Pamala Darsow

3 Year Member
I am thinking about getting a Rosy Hair , I live alone in a apartment . Thing is the fire alarm goes off in this building about once a week and is very loud . I do not plan on handling it much but I am worried about getting a pet that might be affected by this loud noise . Other than the alarm it is very quiet here .
Thanks everyone . I knew they could not hear but was worried about vibrations . I have a feeling I will have several in time . I have a 11 year old grandson that I think will enjoy learning about them right along with me . Since I am in a small apartment ,space is also an issue . He will end up inheriting them some day I think . Thanks again !

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I have a 11 year old grandson that I think will enjoy learning about them right along with me . Since I am in a small apartment ,space is also an issue . He will end up inheriting them some day I think . Thanks again !

Teaching children how to respect and appreciate them is so important and I wish that more children were given that opportunity. Fear leads to hate and the more people learn about them - the less that they fear and hate them.
They are so important to every ecosystem they're found in and the next generation needs to learn that first hand if they are going to help them to survive on this planet.

Pamala Darsow

3 Year Member
I agree. I can remember when he was young he was terrified of flies and bees. Till I got him to sit on my balcony with me as I explained how they collecting pollen on their legs . Now that he is older is learning the environmental effects on animals and insects and on our food supply .

Latest posts