• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I Don't Know What's Going On

Jolene

3 Year Member
About two weeks ago my hubby bought me a avicularia versicolour as a suprise. He knows nothing about spiders so he went on the word of a breeder that it was an easy sling to care for....he was rooked we have since come to learn.

So upon arrival I transferred Zazu in to a larger and taller deli cup that I had cross ventilated with a pin. There is soil, a spot of moss and sticks in his new home. We have been offering a cricket every three to four days and if it isn't eaten within 24 hours I pull it out.

The last few days he has been curling up. I was worried it was the death curl but he is so little it's hard to know what is going on. So the other day my hubby brushed him with the paint brush and he immediatley uncurled and crawled off. Today we found a teeny tiny moult. But he is still curling up. I don't know how old the moult is since it's hard to see on the soil and it could be fresh or a few days old. When he was nudged and crawled around he also started spinning a web....something he has not done yet.

So I don't know what to do. We keep it humid but are aware on not to make it too humid because of mold. We check the soil daily to make sure no mold is growing and we keep the little guy warm. What else is there? And what are the chances he is just moulting again and not dying?

I told my hubby next tarantula he want's to buy me I go with and it's a well established one haha.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well first off you should not be touching a recently molted tarantula so definitely stop doing that. They'll often stretch out in odd positions. The biggest reason I don't recommend Avicularia to beginners is because they need very precise conditions, especially when young. Cross-ventilation is the key to caring for Avicularia. So many noobs obsess over humidity, which isn't as important as you're thinking with this genus. A small water dish will provide all of the humidity you need. Keep the substrate dry. I personally don't mist because moist stuffy cages are death traps for Avics.

Jolene

3 Year Member
We wouldn't if touched it had I known it molted. We have not touched it since. Secondly, I know its not ideal...I did not buy it so I am trying to learn instead of just continue to be unaware. And he isnt stretched out...he is curled up. Stretched out wouldnt concern me. And every breeder and enthusiast I talked to said not to put a water dish in that young as it is incredibly dangerous. We keep a small amount of moss that we wet and change out. Soil is dry.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We wouldn't if touched it had I known it molted. We have not touched it since. Secondly, I know its not ideal...I did not buy it so I am trying to learn instead of just continue to be unaware. And he isnt stretched out...he is curled up. Stretched out wouldnt concern me. And every breeder and enthusiast I talked to said not to put a water dish in that young as it is incredibly dangerous. We keep a small amount of moss that we wet and change out. Soil is dry.
That's rather odd, because I know people who've been in the hobby for 30 to 40 years and they all use water dishes. I use water dishes for all of my slings, no matter how small. They won't drown. Look at this picture of an Avic floating on a huge body of water:
uploadfromtaptalk1441583342853.jpg

You don't have to believe me, but with all due respect, I've been keeping tarantulas for over 12 years now. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm doing.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Jolene...just some friendly advice. dont be defensive if someone tells u something. u have questions, these guys have answers there is a lot of good advice in here. no one means any disrespect when they tell u something, they just wanna help or they would not have posted anything. its all good. :)