• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybridization; and why it's bad.

swimbait

3 Year Member
In my own point of view... Those results produced by human kind are not original species or naturally breed in wild on their own... Instead it is genetically cross bred by forced, experimented without knowing what is the outcome of it but still done just to produce a new kind of specie, coloration, appearance etc... Just for the sake of what? The difference is that those hybrid species are produced by human and not by God... Spiders are one of the oldest species that survived since ice age, and T's is one of those... If Hybridization done to T's, the authentication, originality, characteristics of each T's specie may be endangered and then only those hybrids will remain...

That's a valid point, there is a difference between color morphs and hybrids, and if done by a hobbyist the authentication of the species could be endangered you are correct. Like I stated multiple times above though, if this was done in a research lab then there wouldn't be much to worry about.

DTG

3 Year Member
The British Tarantula Society just wrote an article on the Psalmopoeus hybrid. I will have to look and see whick book it was published in.

DTG

3 Year Member
Color morphs are not the same, they are all the same species. If they were to be introduced back into the wild, it is my belief that they would revert to what ever color would most camoflage them and the extreme morphs such as the brighter ones would be wiped out. Nature finds a way, that is why hybrids are so dangerous. If given an oppurtunity and a somewhat reasonable environment, they will reproduce.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
I saw pictures of a couple hybrid Brachys back in the day and it is possibly to breed to color a little. You can get a klaasi with flameknees. If one were to do it I would expect 95% destroyed on day 1 and the remainder destroyed once you have your coffee table female. However I have never found anyone I trust enough to pull this off without fear.

Latest posts