• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell if G. rosea is underfed?

Kiiarah

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some basic husbandry advice. My new G. rosea seems to be settling in very well so far, she has a crazy appetite and has taken prey items within seconds at every feeding but I am slightly concerned because her abdomen seems smaller than I would expect. She also has what looks like a small dry, somewhat flaky patch on the top of her abdomen right in the middle and slightly farther back from center. After doing some research it looks like this is most likely just a mirror patch, but I mention in just in case it could be anything abnormal and I am mistaking what it is.

I had a rosea years ago and I seem to remember her having quite a plump round abdomen almost equal in size to her cephalothorax. This girl has a more oval abdomen that is not quite the width of her cephalothorax. She came from a chain pet store and my concern is that she may be underfed. She shows no signs of dehydration, has eaten three crickets with me so far and has been able to access fresh water at all times and I have seen her drink. My question is, how can I tell whether she is underfed or whether her abdomen is of a normal and healthy size? I don't want to overfeed her but I almost feel like there is a risk she needs to catch up on meals, if that is even a reasonable concern with Ts.

I wish I could get a better picture of her but for right now the attached one is the only decent one I have. The pet store said she is female, but the employee who helped me claimed you could tell by looking at their spinnerets, which I am almost certain is not true. I know in some species the male has a smaller abdomen. Is this true for roseas and could it be that she is actually male? Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer. :)

SAM_1590_zpsdygygvbo.jpg

Fleas

3 Year Member
Everything seems to be good with your t as long it has water and eating it will be fine:T:

Kiiarah

3 Year Member
Thanks Fleas, she does seem to be healthy at least. Would you recommend just sticking to a one a week schedule with the crickets? They seem so small compared to her abdomen size. What size of prey should she have? She has been eating med/large crickets and it takes her about 30-45 minutes to finish them. Is there any harm in feeding more often just for a short while? I know power feeding long term can shorten their life span and cause health problems, but what about offering more often for just a couple of weeks?

Fleas

3 Year Member
Feeding is one of those thing that ever body does different for me I do one large b Dubai roch ever two weeks some of the adult take 24 hour to down all of it other eat half and discard them. I think that over feeding them to. But I don't see no harm in feeding it more just to get it plump but keep in mine that over feeding it might make it fast and you don't want that always worry about when is it going to eat again. PS I don't do crickets no more my last straw was pulled when one bit off half of a spinerat on my hentzi:(

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding is one of those thing that ever body does different for me I do one large b Dubai roch ever two weeks some of the adult take 24 hour to down all of it other eat half and discard them. I think that over feeding them to. But I don't see no harm in feeding it more just to get it plump but keep in mine that over feeding it might make it fast and you don't want that always worry about when is it going to eat again. PS I don't do crickets no more my last straw was pulled when one bit off half of a spinerat on my hentzi:(
Remember that roaches are illegal in a lot of places. Here in Florida for example. I believe they're illegal in Canada also.

Kiiarah

3 Year Member
Thank you for the warning fleas, unfortunately I don't have a source for anything but crickets and mealworms. But the crickets I have given her have been taken within less than 10 seconds, usually faster. Roches aren't illegal here, just a matter of obtaining them. I would rather she not fast, but at the same time the idea doesn't worry me too much since I have a ball python and they are also a fasting species so I am fairly used to that issue. I just don't want to do anything that might cause her health problems. :)

Latest posts