• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often or should i even at all, clean my tarantulas enclosure?

jtrux

3 Year Member
I don't know how others do it but I usually spot clean when it becomes noticeable and completely clean it out with new substrate and such maybe every 6 months or so. I've gone further like a year befoe with no ill effects. All my T's are pretty docile and don't have real elaborate enclosures so it's really easy. I also use coconut coir for a substrate so it's stupid cheap especially when you buy it in those compressed bricks.
Oh and as far as cleaning out dead crickets and such, I haven't had that problem, I try to keep a count of how many they eat each feeding and only provide that many so I usually don't have extras.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I spot clean as well. I don't change substrate. I do however, replace the water bowl every couple weeks.. (I take te old one out, put a new one in, and then clean the old one with lemon juice and water)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely keep it clean of carcasses and such, as dead prey items can cause bacteria growth and can attract mites. I put new water in two-three times a week (my place is very dry, so the water dries up pretty quickly, and Karina only poops in her water dish lol) you're mileage may vary here, and I just clean up the bolus after she's eaten. From what I've read, as long as you keep the carcasses/bolus cleaned out you don't really have to do a full clean very often (some I've even heard of going 1-2 years between).

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gah! Velma pooped in her dish yesterday minutes after I changed the water! What the heck is up with that?

spider62

3 Year Member
Definately keep an eye out for mold. This can come from moisture, as it's balance between required moisture and and mold causing moisture. Just keep on top of your substrate and replace any moldy/questionable stuff. Water bowls are also easy to change if they get nasty. As far as carcasses it can't hurt to remove the uneaten ones to prevent any unwanted bacteria/pests.

AngelOtter

3 Year Member
I take out all the old dead feeders, and clean the glass up once in a while. I change and clean the water bowls once a week, and change the dirt every few months.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Spot clean regularly, clean water dishes as needed (fresh clean water at all times), change out sub.....only if there is a problem, like parasites, extensive mold or fungi; otherwise leave it be.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I change the dirt every few months.

Changing substrate stresses spiders. They put all that time and effort into getting a home they're comfortable in, and then have to start all over again. Serious collectors don't change substrate for years, often many years.

Latest posts