• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How fast do different Tarantula breeds move?

kheymann

3 Year Member
I am kind of curious on this aspect. Chilean Rose seems to be the winner for a beginner Tarantula as it is said to be pretty docile and not move so fast. Although, I'm reading that they can shoot the urticating hairs at you and it can be painful??

I'm curious on these aspects because even though I will not be taking it out of it's "tank/cage" (40 gallon breeder) once it's all setup I am partially blind and want no surprises.. but looking at some of the other types of T's .. so many choices. I am leaning torwards a terrestrial species (ground dwelling).

jetfire

3 Year Member
Arboreal T's are wicked fast as a rule. Even a rosehair can put on a fairly shocking speed burst, if it's feeling it. As for the hairs, they suck.plain and simple.if you see your T rubbing it's butt with it's back legs real quick, it's tossing hairs. My redleg got me once, and the itching was almost immediate. And the hairs transfer easily, so don't rub anywhere on your face, trust Me on this.
Any number of new world T's make excellent first-time pets, especially Brachypelma and Aphonopelma. These spiders tend to be relatively more relaxed, and are usually very hardy spiders.

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
I fully disagree with Chilean Rose hair T's being good beginner species. They arent bad for beginners, but they are far from good.

In terms of speed, us Humans love to compare, and because of our love, you will find people giving you out-of-context information, like a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula isnt fast. All tarantulas are fast. ALL OF THEM! Some are more prone to lumbering around the enclosure slowly, only showing off a burst of speed when a feeder is present. Others walk around with a sence of purpose and seem to be "faster". Some will have longer bursts, some shorter.
That being said, all Tarantulas should be treated with a healthy dose of respect in terms of speed.

Lets make some distinctions:

New World: Tarantulas native to North and South America
Old World: Tarantulas Native to Eurasia and Africa (I intentionally leave out Australia because they dont export tarantulas)

Generally speaking Arboreal T's are faster than Terrestrial. Old world are faster than New World. Old world are more venomous, while new world have urticating hairs. So basically a Eurasian Tree Spider will be faster than a ground dwelling Tarantula native to the State of New Mexico.

To the best of my knowledge the Togo Starburst Tarantula (Heteroscodra maculata) is the "fastest" Tarantula in the hobby, and honestly this is the only T that has ever given me any grief in terms of speed.

Urticating Hairs arent really hairs, but bristles. Mammals are the only animals that have hairs. Most (but not all) New World T's have urticating hairs. They have rear facing barbs, meaning they have to be removed with tweezers. I've never been hit by them, but have heards its similar to inhaling fibreglass. Its an evolved trait, allowing T's to fend off large predators. They may send a warning, facing their rump at you and lifting it up into the air. This is not only saying, "Look how big my bum is" but it puts the T in the perfect position to fire off hairs in your direction, and Ts are fairly accurate with their cloud of pain. They quickly use their hind legs to rub some hairs free, and shoot them in your direction.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the breakdown! I just watched a few Heteroscodra maculata videos on Youtube. What a beautiful - but quick - Tarantula!

Latest posts