• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you think they climb?

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
I have heard to theory on how tarantula climb.
The first I heard is that they have millions or microscopic bristle on there feet, and gland that they use to excrete some the water in there body. With the water and bristle it makes a static charge allowing them to climb.
The other way I have heard is that there only silk gland is not just the one by there spinneret. That they also have one at the bottom of each foot. So that way they can throw web down as they walk so they can climb walls.
Witch way do you think they climb. I would like to heard in the comment bellow.
I think it is the bristle and water personally, my reason is that I notice most arboreal tarantula need higher humidity for more water.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
It was in a book, it is called the tarantula keepers guide. If you search online how spiders climb it may come up with it to though.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tguy im with u. the tiny bristels. thats how most other arthropods climb, so i would imagine it would be the same for spiders. I think the silk from the feet theory is from someone who might have watched lot of spiderman. lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah that is true. tushe... sir....tuche...whichever one of those is the correct spelling. lol

AceTRetreat

3 Year Member
Crested Geckos and others use tiny bristle like hairs called setae arranged in rows known as lamellae :) I think that is van der Waals forces at work!

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
Is there more then one tarantula that climbs with web that they know for sure, I read something yesterday that there was only one that they knew for sure climbed that way.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
I have seen a lot of disagreement on with is right or not, in the studies I have read on it. I do know that form my G. rosea spinneret she lays web every time she walks.

Latest posts