1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you feed small arboreal slings?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by Turtlynne, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Turtlynne

Turtlynne New Member

hi - will an arboreal sling scavenge on the 'ground'? or must I place the food item in its 'tree' somehow?'
    IamKrush and Evanthomas like this.
  2. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

You can do either. As long as its not a tiny sling in a huge enclosure it will find it
    Evanthomas likes this.
  3. Belegnole

Belegnole New Member

It's amazing what they get up to when your not watching, especially when the lights are out. One would think my A. avicularia never moved from it's little corner. BUT! the cricket on the ground, with the crushed head? gone...

Of course like some others I tong feed my avic. It's a juvie that had a bad molt and thats my excuse.

ok, humor aside a smaller enclosure increases the chances of a sling finding it's dinner. It also can increase the sense of security for them as well. I like to place prey items close to the tarantula in question so they know its there right away. Then I can observe their reaction. After awhile you will have a good idea right away if that T is going to feed or not.
    Evanthomas and MassExodus like this.
  4. MassExodus

True. I do that as well but if the roach wanders off uneaten I leave it. Often, a day later I'll see the sling munching on a bolus.
    Evanthomas likes this.
  5. Turtlynne

Turtlynne New Member

Thanks so much for all the good info!
    Evanthomas and MassExodus like this.
  6. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Media:
    Albums:
    i set mine up in the sling and juvie enclosures from Jamies, put them upside down so the lid holds the substrate. then at feeding time i take off the lid, turn it upside down and drop a roach in, then turn it right side up again and put it back together. that way the roach is now up near the top in the leaves and whatnot and is easy prey for our Avic.

I just got the camera mount today for my cell to start making feeding vids, i'll record feeding our Avic so this makes sense ;)
    MassExodus likes this.
  7. Tricocyst

Tricocyst Active Member

my p regalis and p fasciata are rought 1 to 1 ½ inches and I had some difficulty with feeding.. they each had a dubia in the container for a week and refused to eat but the very minute I put a cricket in they were very aggressive eaters.. funny thing is the pet shop didn't have small crickets.. so unfortunately I had to feed them crickets about the same size as the slings but the poecilotheria venom is very strong and they had literally no issue taking down prey that large.. so i'd imagine as long as the container you have the spider in isnt to big and the spider isnt about to molt then it should glady eat crickets without the need for assistance
    MassExodus likes this.
  8. MassExodus

True. I just hate crickets. Lateralis are sooo superior..in every way.
    Tricocyst likes this.
  9. Turtlynne

Turtlynne New Member

Are you eating them broiled? fried? chocolate covered?
  10. Turtlynne

Turtlynne New Member

I am looking forward to this video because I am visualizing this poor T with substrate in its 'fuzz' AND hanging upside-down!
  11. IamKrush

IamKrush Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I tong feed mine
  12. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Media:
    Albums:
    lol I'm feeding on Saturday this week. i'll record it and post it in the feeding thread. Got a birthday to attend for my niece so i won't be home till late on Sunday when we usually feed.
Draft saved Draft deleted