• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how dangerous is p.metallic venom

jrh3

3 Year Member
i almost got a pair, but after research i backed out of the p. metallica. reason is this: they can basically teleport, by how fast they are. also if you get a wet bite, your going to the hospital. muscle relaxers and other meds, for a week or so, then the effects will stick with you for about a month. i put this info together after about 2 weeks worth of research. so if you have kids or small pets, imaging what would happen to them. not worth the risk imo. so i will stick with NW species. it all comes down to when you get bit. saw a guy on another forum after 20 years with Tarantulas he got his first bite. everyone eventually get bit, its just a matter of when and by what.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i almost got a pair, but after research i backed out of the p. metallica. reason is this: they can basically teleport, by how fast they are. also if you get a wet bite, your going to the hospital. muscle relaxers and other meds, for a week or so, then the effects will stick with you for about a month. i put this info together after about 2 weeks worth of research. so if you have kids or small pets, imaging what would happen to them. not worth the risk imo. so i will stick with NW species. it all comes down to when you get bit. saw a guy on another forum after 20 years with Tarantulas he got his first bite. everyone eventually get bit, its just a matter of when and by what.
Everyone doesn't eventually get bit, I'm not really sure where you got that assumption from. If this statement were true, then there'd be a lot more people going to the ER for tarantula bites. There are people who have kept tarantulas 30-40 years and have never once received a bite. It's not actually that hard to not get bit, it's just a matter of not putting yourself into a position where you can get bit, and knowing what to do when things go wrong. I've had quite a few fast species, OW's included teleport out of their enclosures during rehouses and up my arm, up the wall, onto my bed, etc. Every time I was able to get them back in succesfully, but had I panicked and reacted without thinking, things could've gone completely the other way. I think you made the right call though, not getting the P.metallica. This is why we encourage people to research the species they're planning on getting thoroughly prior to acquiring it. Granted there are worse Old World species out there you could've started with, but there are also far better ones for those who have yet to keep any.

jrh3

3 Year Member
Everyone doesn't eventually get bit, I'm not really sure where you got that assumption from. If this statement were true, then there'd be a lot more people going to the ER for tarantula bites. There are people who have kept tarantulas 30-40 years and have never once received a bite. It's not actually that hard to not get bit, it's just a matter of not putting yourself into a position where you can get bit, and knowing what to do when things go wrong. I've had quite a few fast species, OW's included teleport out of their enclosures during rehouses and up my arm, up the wall, onto my bed, etc. Every time I was able to get them back in succesfully, but had I panicked and reacted without thinking, things could've gone completely the other way. I think you made the right call though, not getting the P.metallica. This is why we encourage people to research the species they're planning on getting thoroughly prior to acquiring it. Granted there are worse Old World species out there you could've started with, but there are also far better ones for those who have yet to keep any.

i say that because its true and is proven with math. putting something into an equation with said variable, given enough time the problem will become true. for the keepers with 40 plus years that haven't been bite. haven't proven the equation due to time. each variable(person) is different. As soon as you state that there is a non-zero probability that something will happen, it will happen with certainty over an infinite time period as long as the probability remains non-zero. If we let p be that probability then limn→∞(1−p)n=0. That is, as n approaches infinity the probability of it not happening over the elapsed interval of time approaches zero. In other words if there can be a possible connection between human and tarantula, it will happen given in given time. Now if we look at it from the other view that someone will never get a bite, unless you refrain from keeping tarantulas altogether it's not logically possible to prove that something can't be done.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im with Chubbs on this a hundred percent , to be fair here, You cannot possibly add enough variables to know or prove things either way,
bottom line is; Getting a tarantula bite IS a possibility perhaps even a probability but NOT an absolute.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i say that because its true and is proven with math. putting something into an equation with said variable, given enough time the problem will become true. for the keepers with 40 plus years that haven't been bite. haven't proven the equation due to time. each variable(person) is different. As soon as you state that there is a non-zero probability that something will happen, it will happen with certainty over an infinite time period as long as the probability remains non-zero. If we let p be that probability then limn→∞(1−p)n=0. That is, as n approaches infinity the probability of it not happening over the elapsed interval of time approaches zero. In other words if there can be a possible connection between human and tarantula, it will happen given in given time. Now if we look at it from the other view that someone will never get a bite, unless you refrain from keeping tarantulas altogether it's not logically possible to prove that something can't be done.

So every person who keeps venomous snakes or potentially dangerous animals is at some point going to get bitten and/or mauled? I'm okay with you having your own belief and point of view, in fact I encourage everyone to stand by what they believe, but was it truly necessary for you to go on tangent involving mathematical equations/expressions just to state how you feel? It just seemed a bit odd and I really do feel that you're just overthinking and over complicating all of this. Look at all of the people who have done just what you have said is pretty much impossible to do, every single one of them disproves/debunks your whole theory.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like any pet......Just respect them, know what they are capable of, take precautions, treat them properly. If you do all that and still get bit, then Forrest Gump once said.....s@#t happens.
He also said life is like a box of chocolates so bite them instead. ☺

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed, I treat all of mine as if they have every intention of trying to bite me.
Most of mine are NW and rather placid specimens, doesn't mean they aren't having a bad day so I'm always alert and careful.
I am NOT afraid of any of them, wouldn't keep them if I were fearful of them,
and I don't quite understand the folks who get a T they are fearful of. ..but it happens,
you read posts where folks have, then they are to fearful to even rehouse it, and I always ask myself why?!
Fear isn't respect, and being fearful can and often will lead to foolish mistakes that will get you or your T hurt.
I totally respect mine, and their space, But I don't keep things I am afraid of.
Common sense and reasonable precautions prevail, these are creatures running on instinct, pure instinct.
They don't have some well thought out master plan laying in wait to catch you unaware.
Bottom line is they are a spider, (albeit a really large spider.)
I do tend to anthropomorphize them verbally, but that's all in fun,
I am always aware that each and every one of them is simply a tarantula,
not some cuddle buddy who wants to be my friend.
Just enjoy them for what they are folks, and take whatever precautions you need to, to avoid the bites in the first place.
We, unlike them, can come up with a well thought out plan to avoid potentially dangerous situations :p

mrclownprince

3 Year Member
Has anyone treated a P. metallica bite with the venomous animal treatment of pressure immobilization? If you do have small children around, it might be something to consider. It can be used for even bee stings to someone who is allergic to the venom.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Has anyone treated a P. metallica bite with the venomous animal treatment of pressure immobilization? If you do have small children around, it might be something to consider. It can be used for even bee stings to someone who is allergic to the venom.
The bite from any Poecilotheria species would still likely require hospitalization regardless, especially for a small child. The venom on this genus is extremely powerful. A trip to the E.R. would honestly just be a lot easier as well as a lot safer. If it were for a NW species or a less potent OW, I would say probably.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Redacted

3 Year Member
I know this thread's old and Poec54 has added an extra wrinkle to my forehead but I don't care if my pokie bites me... I care more for the T than myself, when I decided to invade its territory just to show off and my gorgeous P.Vittata lost a leg I learned a lesson that a bite should be the last concern of the serious keeper.... Their speed is indescribable and THAT is the real worry (for me) whenever maintenance is required... They're defo NOT the most aggressive/defensive Ts out there but of course their venoms reputation proceeds them.... I won't risk anything with it now but I will say that they're a joy to keep and they make even filling the water dish exciting
I guess it's a balancing act between a well-kept T and a healthy keeper. You're giving it serious thought v

Redacted

3 Year Member
Oh, ok haha sorry... Yes there's a lot to consider when owning venomous fast animals but if you cherish and respect them I believe you'll be fine... I do worry about an escape from any of my Ts as I have two small Beagles and I wouldn't like to think how fast any of them would kill my dogs if bitten... :/
Shampain- I meant it. You are thoughtful of the issue. No apology expected.

Latest posts