• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how dangerous is p.metallic venom

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Poecilotheria Metallica are just less prone to show threat postures,does this negate a bite ? Not at all,since I can compare it to say a dog. The dog just sits there never growls snarls etc,but in fact that is the higher risk one since you never know what to expect.

With others which show threat postures easier, you will be more alert and that alone is the mistake just my opinion. Something else,they are extremely sensitive towards their surroundings more so than other pokies that I've observed in my collection I can even add smithi.

Last edited:

Poec54

3 Year Member
Hello
Poecilotheria Metallica are just less prone to show threat postures,does this negate a bite ? Not at all,since I can compare it to say a dog. The dog just sits there never growls snarls etc,but in fact that is the higher risk one since you never know what to expect.

With others which show threat postures easier, you will be more alert and that alone is the mistake just my opinion. Something else,they are extremely sensitive towards their surroundings more so than other pokies that I've observed in my collection I can even add smithi.

+1. Like most animals, tarantulas are threatened by intruders in their territory; their responses can catch you off guard if you're not careful. The ones that haven't reacted yet, haven't 'tipped their hand': you don't know if they're trying to hide or ignore you, or preparing to race out and confront you. I imagine that most of the people that get bit probably didn't get a threat pose first. I treat my spiders by what they're capable of, not what they normally do. You can get complacent otherwise.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello

+1. Like most animals, tarantulas are threatened by intruders in their territory; their responses can catch you off guard if you're not careful. The ones that haven't reacted yet, haven't 'tipped their hand': you don't know if they're trying to hide or ignore you, or preparing to race out and confront you. I imagine that most of the people that get bit probably didn't get a threat pose first. I treat my spiders by what they're capable of, not what they normally do. You can get complacent otherwise.

Don't worry I am always very aware of what they can do and extremely careful when I open their containers.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've done quite abit and I always respect my spiders. I plan on getting one someday they are so beautiful.
Lots of debates on T handling in general but there is no doubt that Poecilotheria sp. should not be handled under any circumstances. Not only for the bite but for their incredible speed. Very dangerous for both T and keeper. I have seen one video of a keeper handling one but suspect most would end up like Rob's videos above. Plenty of other choices for keepers that still desire to handle their T's. With that said, it is still one of the most magnificent T's in the world and this should not prevent one from keeping them. Just need to practice caution.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why does this same guy keep getting bit? Jeez louis dude , wtf is wrong with you?
Whats wrong with him is that he shows classic signs of heavy coke use, in the majority of his videos. I've been around dope heads for ten years, I know it when I see it. He's an ok guy, and I like some of his videos, but, yeah..drugs are bad, mkay? Don't do drugs..

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
Whats wrong with him is that he shows classic signs of heavy coke use, in the majority of his videos. I've been around dope heads for ten years, I know it when I see it. He's an ok guy, and I like some of his videos, but, yeah..drugs are bad, mkay? Don't do drugs..
You know, I used to be one of those people and I indeed agree with you ! I have been clean now for a VERY long time and dont Drink , smoke or chew and my drug of choice is Coffee and red bulls. But one would think that after being bite even one time that your would not pick these up for any reason because it is most likely the T that will suffer a fall .

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know, I used to be one of those people and I indeed agree with you ! I have been clean now for a VERY long time and dont Drink , smoke or chew and my drug of choice is Coffee and red bulls. But one would think that after being bite even one time that your would not pick these up for any reason because it is most likely the T that will suffer a fall .
What sets me off about him is that each time he was bitten, he made a video for the sake of drama..it's the exact kind of negative attention we don't need in this hobby. And by the way, congrats on getting clean...many people don't make it out of that situation.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rob C was an avid T collector and breeder. His passion for the hobby appears to be his drive to video? His Youtube videos were well done and brought a lot of people into the hobby. In this particular video, although certainly dramatic, I feel is a great education for those thinking about diving into Pokies. And for those that elect to handle their T's. While they are certainly goreous, they dangerous pets and require proper caution via education. Also, in almost every instance that he got tagged it was during the mating process and he had to separate a male/female thing that went bad. One of the reasons that I have chosen not to breed T's and leave it to the professionals. Perhaps the bites were the reason he seems to have left the hobby? Or other things?

No comment on drug use as there is no evidence to that effect. It seems Rob has left the hobby as there have been no posts in a long time so probably not here to defend himself or respond.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rob C was an avid T collector and breeder. His passion for the hobby appears to be his drive to video? His Youtube videos were well done and brought a lot of people into the hobby. In this particular video, although certainly dramatic, I feel is a great education for those thinking about diving into Pokies. And for those that elect to handle their T's. While they are certainly goreous, they dangerous pets and require proper caution via education. Also, in almost every instance that he got tagged it was during the mating process and he had to separate a male/female thing that went bad. One of the reasons that I have chosen not to breed T's and leave it to the professionals. Perhaps the bites were the reason he seems to have left the hobby? Or other things?

No comment on drug use as there is no evidence to that effect. It seems Rob has left the hobby as there have been no posts in a long time so probably not here to defend himself or respond.
The evidence of drug use is clear to me, as I said, I've been around it for ten years. I had to evaluate people for it. In many of his videos he was coked out of his mind, it was written across his face in bold print, if you know how to read it. I like the guy's videos, and have nothing personal against him except the uh, "educational" bite videos. It just seems obvious to me why a person so experienced with tarantulas was bitten so many times, and I stated why.

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
We as tarantula hobbyists get bitten because unlike others who can't stand them we can't help but see them as cute and lovable like stuffed animals that you can't hold but must watch, observe, and faun over. If I get bitten no matter the species I will blame myself, my only hope is I don't harm whatever one of my spiders bites me:D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a P. Subfusca the other day by post. Legspan about 6cm. While trying to transfer from container delivered in to thr new enclosure, it shot right up my arm and went straight for the arm hole in thd underside of my t.shirt. Had to use my skin and the new enclosure to "trap" and then slide into the container like you would rescuing a house spider and putting it outside. As I have read a lot about Pokies venom, even at this size I must admit was dreading a bite from a frightened T. Thankfully all well.
I open my p. Metallica enclosure ONLY before a check on where she is as she is a big female and would not want to chance it even though she has shown no sign of aggression just skittish and runs. ....FAST!!!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The World ain't all sunshine and rainbows......Rocky Balboa. Just wanted to add to your inspirational quotes :)

owax

3 Year Member
Good info. My Slings are still small enough that I don't worry too much, but at this point, I don't plan on handling them at all as they grow. Not worth the risk.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All pokie venom is pretty similar, and a bite from one is definitely not something to take lightly. Obviously symptoms are going to range from person to person, and the severity of said symptoms can depend on many factors such as where you were bitten, your age as well as your height and weight, how strong of an immune system you have, the size of the spider, and things like that. In short, Poecilotheria venom is among the most powerful of any tarantula period, and it's a very good thing that these are not defensive spiders. This is taken from the "Tarantula Keeper's Guide' by Stan and Marguerite Shultz describing some of the symptoms some have experienced from a P.regalis bite "Indian Ornamental's bites have been reported to produce dizziness, nausea, sweating, racing heartbeat, localized muscle cramps, sever pain, and minor swelling for twenty-four to forty-eight hours. Furthermore there are reports of people who were bitten suffering relapses several months to a year or more after the initial bite." (Schultz, p.348). I have heard that P.ornata and P.subfusca have even more potent venom than your average pokie, and people who have bitten have definitely confirmed this, however there has not been any official research conducted that would prove such claims to be true.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm eventually going to keep a few, simply because I find I have a preference for arboreal T's. And they are really lovely.
But I definitely have zero intention of ever handling them. No offense to anyone but I just don't quite get why so many folks seem to think its some right of passage to handle the more dangerous of the T's. Then they get bitten, T possibly gets injured or killed..bottom line is it proves nothing. :(

VanessaS

3 Year Member
As far as looks go - they are my absolute favourites. Nature at it's very finest.
I wouldn't keep one, though. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to the tarantulas and I have a comfort level that I am not prepared to move away from. Personally, I'll stick to the more docile species, but I could see why someone would want an entire collection of them. You don't get much more gorgeous than a Poecilotheria.

Latest posts