• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing questions

ChazJ

3 Year Member
I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first tarantula. I've been wanting one ever since I was a teen, & the one I'm purchasing is a Mexican Redknee. I'm not sure about purchasing spiderlings b/c I read that for a beginner it's best to start off w/ adults..anyways, I have a 10" wide, 12 & a half inch high & 20" long tank for an adult, but I purchased a smaller plastic one for a spiderling. My question are as followed (sorry for the long intro):
Should I use all three bricks of substrate for my tank & how deep should I have it?
My other plastic tank is a little too big for a spiderling I think, it's 8" long, 5 1/4" high & 5" wide, so I was wondering if that'd still be usable for spiderlings. (The spiderling's going to be 1.25"), also wondering how deep should I keep the substrate in that.

That's all the questions I can think of for now, but I have photos I can show of both tanks & how big the substrate bricks are.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You want to start off with a container a couple times the span of the spider. Deli cups are awesome for young T's! You also want to give several inches of substrate so your T can burrow it if chooses. I have some slings I never seen, and some I have never seen burrow. A small shallow water dish that is small enough that the T can't drown in pretty much completes the set up. (I use bottle caps for most of my bigger guys.)

Tguy

3 Year Member
hi chaz....welcome to TF...awesome first choice :)....half a brick if they are petstore bricks will be more than enough and make sure whatever you do put it in has holes that the T can't squeez through...(if the carapace can fit the T will get through)....let's see what you have for tanks ....slings are fragile and extra care is needed but the reward of watching them grow is more than worth it

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In your 10gal tank you should put about 4-5" depth for substrate. For a 1.5" sling a 32oz deli cup is pefect with 2" of sub.

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
I know the rule of thumb is 4 to 5 times the leg span of the T, and I've heard more than that is wasted space. but really does it hurt for the T to have extra room if the keeper want to give the extra space? I have a 3-3.5" G. Rosea in a exo terra terrarium that is 24"w X 18"d X 12"t with 5" of sub.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know the rule of thumb is 4 to 5 times the leg span of the T, and I've heard more than that is wasted space. but really does it hurt for the T to have extra room if the keeper want to give the extra space? I have a 3-3.5" G. Rosea in a exo terra terrarium that is 24"w X 18"d X 12"t with 5" of sub.

The issues with extra space, is that it may hinder the T in hunting.Ts (especially Terrestrial) tend to conseve energy, and are unlikely to chase a prey item in to large of an enclosure. In the wild there are more prey items, and more oppertunities, in captivity, that is not the case. In addition to that, many Ts will just ignore the majority of the space in a large container. I keep my Brachypelma sp in 10 gallon tanks, and they rarely venture passed their particular corner, unless it's for a drink.

ChazJ

3 Year Member
Thank you all. I really appreciate it! I recently traded in my bricks of substrate for loose substrate of the same kind.
I'm going to purchase my T w/in the next few days, I'll be sure to post some pics of it. =]

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you all. I really appreciate it! I recently traded in my bricks of substrate for loose substrate of the same kind.
I'm going to purchase my T w/in the next few days, I'll be sure to post some pics of it. =]
Just so you know (I just recently found this out myself), but you can buy the Coconut fibre from garden centers for A LOT cheaper than what they sell it for at the pet stores :) Welcome to the addiction (hobby) btw, and looking foward to seeing pics of your new addition :D

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My MF B smithi set up, in a 10gal tank
2012-11-02_21-38-54_901.jpg

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She seems to be content with it. I see her in a different place every few days, so she is making use of the space. All my adult Ts get 10gal set ups, with the exception of a few of the dwarfs and smaller species.

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
(quoting Schoolman) She seems to be content with it. I see her in a different place every few days, so she is making use of the space. All my adult Ts get 10gal set ups, with the exception of a few of the dwarfs and smaller species.

One of our rosie's (weber) seems to love her terrarium too. she is all over the place. She is on a table in the living room and when I come home from work I'll use the table to use the computer and she comes to the door to (I assume) see what I'm doing.

Attachments

• 100_0775.JPG
    100_0775.JPG
    780 KB · Views: 16

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Noelle utilizes her 10 gallon pretty well too. She's almost always in a different spot, only a couple times in her hide. Do you suppose that they avoid hiding if they are secure/comfortable in their space? Was wondering about this lately.

Latest posts