• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Horned baboon

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Jennifer,

I have a c. darlingi in my collection. One of my favorites! I don't believe anyone knows the actual answer to your question. However, a few theories exist. The one that I tend to agree with it that it helps them stay in their burrow when being "pulled" out of it from other predators?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hi Jennifer,

I have a c. darlingi in my collection. One of my favorites! I don't believe anyone knows the actual answer to your question. However, a few theories exist. The one that I tend to agree with it that it helps them stay in their burrow when being "pulled" out of it from other predators?

This is a very interesting hypothesis. Glad you shared! Better than the one which says it's a handling device!

As you said, I've never heard a 100% bulletproof explanation for the horn either. It is located where the sucking stomach is attached (inside the prosoma), maybe there's a connection (but then why aren't there any horn in the other tarantulas except some Ceratogyrus spp. and Sphaerobothria hoffmanni?).

Some people say that Ceratos are great suckers, could be a clue, but... :rolleyes:

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
This is a quote I found on this excellent website: http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/ceratogyrus-marshalli/

Dennis Van Vlierberghe wrote this:
"Until today it is still unknown why these horns could have a positive impact on the lives of the tarantulas. Anatomically, the horn is located on top of the fovea. Underneath the fovea, inside the tarantula, the dorsal dilator muscle is attached to the apodeme. Different to all other bird spider the apodeme of the horned Ceratogyrus-species is ringshaped. The increased surface for the attachment of the dilator muscles, inside the horn, could aid in drawing in liquified food into the sucking stomach. On the other hand the increased surface could serve as storage area to survive periods of extreme drought and lack of food (Rick C. West/1986)."

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a quote I found on this excellent website: http://www.theraphosidae.be/en/ceratogyrus-marshalli/

Dennis Van Vlierberghe wrote this:
"Until today it is still unknown why these horns could have a positive impact on the lives of the tarantulas. Anatomically, the horn is located on top of the fovea. Underneath the fovea, inside the tarantula, the dorsal dilator muscle is attached to the apodeme. Different to all other bird spider the apodeme of the horned Ceratogyrus-species is ringshaped. The increased surface for the attachment of the dilator muscles, inside the horn, could aid in drawing in liquified food into the sucking stomach. On the other hand the increased surface could serve as storage area to survive periods of extreme drought and lack of food (Rick C. West/1986)."

Thank you for that. I'd always presumed it was just a device to make them look more scary to predators.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for that. I'd always presumed it was just a device to make them look more scary to predators.
same here, kind of like spikes on armor, pretty much worthless except for the intimidation aspect ;)

Latest posts