• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Homemade custom enclosures...

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Ok so im starting to expand my collection and getting a little fussy about how to keep my Ts. I hate using critter keepers and modifying screen lids on glass enclosures. Adult enclosures online are outrageously over priced so im to the point if I want to have something efficient and looks good then im going to make them myself. Now I run a hardware store so I can get unlimited acrylic sheeting and adhesive so this will be way more cost efficient, just more labor lol.

Dose anyone else have experience building enclosures from scratch? Opinions on overall size, ventilation and other possible materials needed. Any particular adhesive? I want something strong but safe. Something that can stand up to chewing but wont hurt my Ts.

It's going to be some time before this project is complete but wanted to get any advice I can before I start, Ill post a pic of the prototype as soon as its ready. So you all can point out anything I should change as well.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm slowly buying pieces to make my own. I'm getting .12" acrylic, 1/8 inch thickness. I'm making mine 12x18x12, since 12 is the smallest and cheapest cut I can find online. Thinking I might go with the next thinner size though. 1/8" looks fairly thick.

I'm using the 2 part epoxy rather than the reactive. I don't have the recommended lighting in my work space for the reactive epoxy.

Vents I'm putting on each end, similar to the Dallecraft enclosures I night from Amazon, about 8 inches from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I'm slowly buying pieces to make my own. I'm getting .12" acrylic, 1/8 inch thickness. I'm making mine 12x18x12, since 12 is the smallest and cheapest cut I can find online. Thinking I might go with the next thinner size though. 1/8" looks fairly thick.

I'm using the 2 part epoxy rather than the reactive. I don't have the recommended lighting in my work space for the reactive epoxy.

Vents I'm putting on each end, similar to the Dallecraft enclosures I night from Amazon, about 8 inches from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback, are you going to use screen vents or just put segments of small holes on yours ? And are you going with a hinge top or removable lid?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback, are you going to use screen vents or just put segments of small holes on yours ? And are you going with a hinge top or removable lid?
haven't decided on lid yet. probably hinged with clasp, i like hte looks of those if i can do it right ;). I was going to go with slots, drill each end then mark and use a dremel to cut the slot. Gives me an excuse to get a new dremel tool ;)

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Gotta have a dremel, never tried to cut acrylic with one though, I just use a old soldering iron to poke holes through it. Was thinking about slide top lids but its gonna be too much extra work so probably going with hinges too.

Latest posts