• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's a reason they call it the "Orange Bitey Thing."

My OBT is easier to deal with than my sons G. rosea. The OBT is rarely seen whereas the rosie will come dashing forward and box the water when I fill its bowl.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My OBT is easier to deal with than my sons G. rosea. The OBT is rarely seen whereas the rosie will come dashing forward and box the water when I fill its bowl.
Two things that your Rosie lacks which the OBT has: speed and strong venom.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ya I have never kept an H. mac but have been told they're comparable with OBTs would you say less or more prone to defensive behavior? (H.mac v OBT)
H.maculata is much less defensive and more likely to run when spooked. Their venom is just as bad as an OBTs if not worse

Last edited:

PamCz

3 Year Member
Somewhat? H.macs are a lot more high-strung and prone to defensive behavior than any Pokie.
Right. I have pokies, baboons incl an OBT, a lampropelma violaceopes...and still won't own an S. calceatum or an H. mac! lol... IMHO, those are scary beasties. Esp the S. calceatum.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Right. I have pokies, baboons incl an OBT, a lampropelma violaceopes...and still won't own an S. calceatum or an H. mac! lol... IMHO, those are scary beasties. Esp the S. calceatum.
H.maculata isn't as bad as the OBT though temperament wise.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But I hear the venom is worse... No?
Like I said in one my previous posts, the venom is just as bad if not worse. As far as I know, It has not been proven which has the stronger venom. Not enough is known about tarantula venom. However the symptoms resulting from H.maculata and S.calcaetum bites are shown to be very serious, and I'd argue even more unpleasant than a bite from an OBT.

PamCz

3 Year Member
"However the symptoms resulting from H.maculata and S.calcaetum bites are shown to be very serious, and I'd argue even more unpleasant than a bite from an OBT."

Right! This is why I own an OBT and not an H. mac or an S. calceatum. Maybe their bites are only moderately worse than an OBT...but I still am not interested in owning them...and tempting an even worse bite than what I have on hand already. :D One day, they'll joint the roster...well, maybe not the S. calceatum. The worst venom...and it charges threats rather than running. No, thanks. I would pee myself if it chased me! :oops: Mentally, I'm not ready for those two, and I think one shouldn't own a T (s)he's afraid of. Maybe I'm lucky, but so far, my OBT seems to be pretty mild tempered...tends to run into the burrow rather than stand its ground. Even recent rehoming of it went well. Still, I treat it like, at any time, it's going to jump on my face and try to eat it...lol Safety protocol. :D

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
"However the symptoms resulting from H.maculata and S.calcaetum bites are shown to be very serious, and I'd argue even more unpleasant than a bite from an OBT."

Right! This is why I own an OBT and not an H. mac or an S. calceatum. Maybe their bites are only moderately worse than an OBT...but I still am not interested in owning them...and tempting an even worse bite than what I have on hand already. :D One day, they'll joint the roster...well, maybe not the S. calceatum. The worst venom...and it charges threats rather than running. No, thanks. I would pee myself if it chased me! :oops: Mentally, I'm not ready for those two, and I think one shouldn't own a T (s)he's afraid of. Maybe I'm lucky, but so far, my OBT seems to be pretty mild tempered...tends to run into the burrow rather than stand its ground. Even recent rehoming of it went well. Still, I treat it like, at any time, it's going to jump on my face and try to eat it...lol Safety protocol. :D
My S.cals are slings so I'm safe for a while lol. They're big babies but I know they won't stay that way. I personally feel OBTs are a bit more predictable than these other 2 species we've been discussing. Not that anyone should ever let their guard down when working with one.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
My S.cals are slings so I'm safe for a while lol. They're big babies but I know they won't stay that way. I personally feel OBTs are a bit more predictable than these other 2 species we've been discussing. Not that anyone should ever let their guard down when working with one.
S. calceatum slings are more apt to tag you than an adult. [emoji6]

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
S. calceatum slings are more apt to tag you than an adult. [emoji6]
I kinda doubt that. Granted I've never kept an adult, but I've had adult OBTs and P.irminia and other highly defensive species, and with all of these species, the slings were just skittish and would run away when disturbed. The adults were much more bold and would throw threat poses when annoyed. I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call BS on what you just said.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I kinda doubt that. Granted I've never kept an adult, but I've had adult OBTs and P.irminia and other highly defensive species, and with all of these species, the slings were just skittish and would run away when disturbed. The adults were much more bold and would throw threat poses when annoyed. I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to call BS on what you just said.
Lol!! Yes, my years raising S. calceatum from slings to adults is BS.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol!! Yes, my years raising S. calceatum from slings to adults is BS.
I'm not trying to seem rude, I'm just really skeptical about what you're telling me. No reason to get all defensive. You're the only person who's kept this species who has ever said this. So obviously I'm going to question this.

xray_chic

3 Year Member

"I would pee myself if it chased me!" LMAO!!! PamCz- you crack me up AND I completely agree with you.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You really do have to admire a creature that is so bold and isn't afraid to stand up against threats several times its own size.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you're supposed to never get bit, therefore, toxicity won't matter.
I don't know if I agree with that. It definitely is important to know the level of toxicity of an animal that you're going to be keeping in your home. Even if you do your best to avoid getting bit, it can still happen. So it does help to know ahead of time.