• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi I'm new n I need some advice wit Kb T

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Don't worry too much about changing out substrate especially when they r burrowing. Just make sure u take out any left over food parts. If u try to take the substrate out while they're under u take a chance of hurting them or possibly killing them. Also ur best bet for changing out the substrate is to move ur T to a temporary home while u clean things up for them. Even when they're above ground it is dangerous to b messing around like that in their house for them and u (getting bit, urticating hairs, hurting ur T). Hope this helps

Rico1418

3 Year Member
Looks to dirty n it's new to me I wanna put my own into it you know thinking about trying on doing it slowly n carefully of course..

Rico1418

3 Year Member
image.jpg

N8tive556

3 Year Member
First welcome to the hobby (addiction), and welcome to the forum!

There are some things you must consider before making ANY changes and or decisions on re-homing your new friend.
What species is it? There are a plethora of what are considered "pet holes" these are obligate burrowers, and to put it quite simply the less you see them the happier they are.

How long have you had it? From the looks of it this is a very established set up. But you want to pay close attention to whether or not your T is in Pre-molt. Moving your T around, is while easy for us, you must realize that to them it is highly stressful. Your desire to give your T a new, clean environment is a great and noble intention, however if they are trying to molt it's a potentially disastrous idea, possible repercussions are stuck molts, disfigurement, and or possibly death.

And lastly Who are you changing the substrate for? One indicator I read in your thread, suggested you just think it looks dirty. And while yes sometimes the substrate can get messy the great thing is all you really must do is spot cleaning, picking out any uneaten or dead feeders, maybe clean the glass of any waste your T has left behind and the like. The only time I ever suggest full substrate changes is in the presence of mold or fungus, these are potentially deadly to your T and is a problem you would want to rectify immediately.

This is merely my 2 cents, in the end if the T is a burrower and is staying burrowed there really is no call for a full substrate change if anything I'd spot clean. If you truly want to make changes I would block all entrances/exits to the burrow and dig a little off the top and add a fresh layer.

Hope you find this useful
Happy T'ing
Nate

Redacted

3 Year Member
First welcome to the hobby (addiction), and welcome to the forum!

There are some things you must consider before making ANY changes and or decisions on re-homing your new friend.
What species is it? There are a plethora of what are considered "pet holes" these are obligate burrowers, and to put it quite simply the less you see them the happier they are.

How long have you had it? From the looks of it this is a very established set up. But you want to pay close attention to whether or not your T is in Pre-molt. Moving your T around, is while easy for us, you must realize that to them it is highly stressful. Your desire to give your T a new, clean environment is a great and noble intention, however if they are trying to molt it's a potentially disastrous idea, possible repercussions are stuck molts, disfigurement, and or possibly death.

And lastly Who are you changing the substrate for? One indicator I read in your thread, suggested you just think it looks dirty. And while yes sometimes the substrate can get messy the great thing is all you really must do is spot cleaning, picking out any uneaten or dead feeders, maybe clean the glass of any waste your T has left behind and the like. The only time I ever suggest full substrate changes is in the presence of mold or fungus, these are potentially deadly to your T and is a problem you would want to rectify immediately.

This is merely my 2 cents, in the end if the T is a burrower and is staying burrowed there really is no call for a full substrate change if anything I'd spot clean. If you truly want to make changes I would block all entrances/exits to the burrow and dig a little off the top and add a fresh layer.

Hope you find this useful
Happy T'ing
Nate
Good advice.

Rico1418

3 Year Member
Hi thanks really great tips and I understand.. she's not molting and the reason why I want to change it out is because the previous owner has her in with back yard dirt I see to many things in there moving around n the smell I can't take it

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I personally would not suggest the flood method for a Baboon seeing as the distancE from the lid to the substrate is rather small you'll have a loose baboon quicker than you can blink... You have to realize that is her home and if water starts filling her home... She's going to flee... And with baboons... They are going to flee quickly, I suggest having a bucket ready and digging her out staying at the far end AWAY from her to begin with. This will allow the walls of her burrow to slowly weaken and open the burrow on it's own she may even begin to surface just to see what's going on, however burrowers tend to hunker down. Once you've removed a Good amount of substrate you'll have more room to work on getting to her. It's kind of a daunting task, but I just see this a the easiest way for me. I recently re homed my C. Fimbriatus and that was rather easy seeing had she webbed up her burrow so all I had to do was literally pick up the burrow with her in it and place it in her new enclosure. Unfortunately I don't see this being as easy of a venture

Last edited:

N8tive556

3 Year Member
New home new owner and good clean substrate she will be a happy girl I'm sure! Don't forget to post updates!

Latest posts